Babylist is looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our consumer experience team. This team is responsible for the end-to-end experience on all devices; used and loved by millions of parents and gift givers. The Babylist website is within the top 1,500 most visited websites in the US, and the mobile apps have over 50k 5-star ratings. You’ll manage an incredibly talented team of engineering managers and software engineers to build out the experience that is the core of our business. You’ll work closely with Product, Design, and other teams to plan and execute key initiatives. You’ll set the vision for how we evolve our technology stack to deliver a world-class customer experience and support ambitious business growth.What You’ll Do
- Own the technical vision and delivery of all consumer-facing features
- Guide the technical direction for the entire consumer stack and work with the engineering leadership to influence major technical decisions that affect the entire company
- Anticipate strategic and scaling-related challenges via intentional long-term planning
- Work closely with the executive and product leadership teams to plan and ship new features/experiences
- Help to improve the development process of the consumer team to optimize for innovation, speed of delivery, and quality of user experience
- Create an engineering culture of inclusiveness, kindness, creativity, and impact
- Be a talent builder to attract, mentor, and retain best in class engineers and managers
What Defines You
- Obsessive about customer experience – everything from beautiful web experiences to latency and back-end scalability
- Well versed on web and mobile technologies and industry best practices
- Able to present complex technical information in a clear and concise manner
- Collaborative and candid with non-engineering stakeholders including PM and UX
- Energized by managing people; helping them to do their best work
- Comfortable with ambiguity, autonomy, and responsibility; you enjoy figuring out what needs to be done—and then doing it.
What You’ve Done
- Experienced at hiring and building exceptional leaders.
- Inspirational for top-tier developers seeking a fast-paced consumer application role.
- Able to design and change the organization over time.
- Clear on what good engineering culture looks like. You can bring best practices day 1, but also evolve them over time and to fit Babylist. You balance creativity and process.
- Able to develop and articulate a vision for web and mobile that enables major business improvements.
- Obsessed with customer experience. You know what this looks like done really well.
- A key contributor to a successful, green-field consumer experience.
- Willing to roll-up your sleeves and go deep on project scoping and major architecture decisions.
- Excellent with written and verbal communication. You can easily extend this beyond just Product and Engineering.
- Multiple experiences building software in roles of increasing responsibility and technical capability
- Experience managing a team of engineers of 10 or more
- Previous experience managing front line engineering managers
- Proven track record building high-volume, high-performing facing applications
- Prior experience in a senior engineer or architect role
- Expertise in at least one of the following areas: React, Ruby on Rails, iOS, Android
- Experience doing hard things at a high success rate
Our Tech Stack
- Native iOS and Android
- Ruby on Rails
At Babylist, we help expecting parents get exactly what they need for the arrival of their new baby. Founded in 2011, Babylist is a popular baby gift registry in the US. We serve millions of families every year to help them make the journey to parenthood less overwhelming and more fun. Families can add any item from any store to their registry, including products Babylist directly sells, alongside meaningful gifts like babysitting and meals, which they can’t buy in stores. The baby retail market is underserved and Babylist is well positioned to be the trusted brand that helps new families through this monumental life stage. In the US alone, 4 million babies are born every year and we have over 1.5 million new families signing up to create a baby registry with us annually. This year, 10M loved ones will give the perfect gift using Babylist.
Why You Will Love Working at Babylist:
• We get stuff done
• We have a real impact on people’s lives
• We’re passionate about our users and we genuinely appreciate them
• We work at a sustainable pace for long-term success (yes, we’re profitable)
• We are growing and have meaningful opportunities for career advancement
• We’re a technological and results-driven business
• We believe in autonomy and reward taking initiative
• We have experienced leadership that is always open to new ideas
• Competitive pay
• Competitive health benefits including company-funded medical, dental, and vision
• 401(k), FSA plans, and disability insurance
• Flexible, paid parental leave policy
• MacBook Pro, tools that you’ll need to be successful, and remote working stipend for office set-up
• Company-wide events and meetings to connect with the broader Babylist team
• We work at a sustainable pace; in general we don’t work late or on weekends
If your experience is close to what we’re looking for, please consider applying. Experience comes in many forms – skills are transferable, and passion goes a long way. We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking, which is why we’re dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply.