Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you’ll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We’re large enough that you’ll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
Etsy is looking for an Engineering Director to lead its Recommendation initiative under the product engineering organization.
This is a full-time role located in San Francisco, CA or Brooklyn, NY, working with the VP of Engineering. (This position will be Remote until our offices reopen.)
As the Engineering Director focused on recommendations, you will be responsible for closely collaborating with your Design, Product and Data Science partners to co-create products that drive the vision and roadmap of recommendations at Etsy. You will lead an engineering organization composed of multiple distributed teams across North America and manage managers of those teams. We are looking for a senior leader who has the passion & experience to guide Etsy in building novel, buyer-centric, delightful recommendation experiences.
The ideal candidate has deep experience building ML products for recommendations and personalization at scale and incorporating them into product experiences. Additionally, this role requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to understand and address product partners’ needs. Candidates should have a relevant technical background, a track record of building large-scale ML products for user-centric experiences, and excellent people development and coaching skills.
About the initiative
The Recommendation initiative is a cross-functional group of product engineers, machine learning data scientists, product managers, designers, user researchers, and analysts. The initiative is responsible for creating engaging experiences maximizing state of the art machine learning across our buyer journey that help over 65 million customers discover the right items. With over 60 million items offered by 4.5 million sellers, the group brings value to our buyers, sellers, and Etsy by balancing e-commerce best practices with the exciting challenges posed by operating at scale.
For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado’s Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
About the role
- Coach and grow engineering managers of the initiative and cultivate a strong, values-aligned culture within the organization.
- Co-create the vision of the Recommendation initiative at Etsy with your product partners and drive its technical strategy.
- Drive OKRs and set KPIs that clearly define the goals and success metrics for your organization.
- Collaborate and foster positive relationships with other product and AI/ML teams across the company.
- Attract top talent using your network and retain your managers and engineers through effective coaching and career growth.
- At least 3 years of experience in managing managers and at least 5 years of overall engineering management experience.
- An excellent coach & mentor of managers and senior engineers.
- Broad knowledge of recent advances in recommender systems (e.g. collaborative filtering, factorization machines, sequence-aware recommender systems, neural models) and have in-depth knowledge of machine learning lifecycle (e.g. feature & model selection, training, optimization).
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational and analytical abilities.
- MS/PhD in Computer Science, or related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience scaling an engineering group and attracting high-caliber managers and engineers.
- Proven industry experience in driving product experiences that combine UX and machine learning.
- Experience in leading remote teams is a plus (but not required).
If you’re interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you’d be right for the position. As you’ve hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else — we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you’re all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.