Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Director of Marketing, reporting to our Chief Communications and Marketing Officer, who is responsible for overseeing the marketing and communications functions at Code for America.
About the Role:
The Director of Marketing will lead Code for America’s go-to-market brand campaigns and projects and will focus on driving the mission and values of Code for America. You will bring the brand to life in new and exciting ways; you will find new opportunities and grow our audiences through creative brand strategy, campaigns, and thought leadership. In partnership with the CCMO, you will steward the Code for America brand and advance how we communicate with our large, growing, and diverse audiences.
You will be an empathetic and values-driven marketer who has experience with building brands inclusive of large and diverse audiences that are a reflection of our nation. You will collaborate with internal colleagues and external partners and can tackle complex problems with a strategic mindset; creates thoughtful and tactical action plans for solving those problems.
You will come with an understanding of Code for America’s ideals, create new pathways to build the Code for America brand, and support a culture that sets the standard for what an equitable government should look like.
In this position you will: (responsibilities)
- Inspire and motivate a growing MarComms team by providing appropriate professional development, recognition, and coaching, and seeking collaboration and thought-partnership from the team
- Play a key role in the MarComms department’s strategic planning process, including annual budgeting, in conjunction with the org-wide annual planning process
- Help guide Code for America events strategy
- Partner with teams and individuals across the organization to produce, schedule, and deploy best-in-class integrated marketing campaigns and brand stories that speak to target audiences and center the experiences and voices of people who are most marginalized
- Build and strengthen a marketing operations strategy and infrastructure that can support a rapidly growing organization
- Translate Code for America’s experiences and unique value propositions into simple, creative, compelling, and impactful content that resonates with key audiences and builds our brand identity
- Oversee all copy and creatives developed to ensure consistency of Code for America’s brand voice
- Define key performance indicators, and measure, track and report the success of marketing and communications tactics
- Own and maintain Code for America brand presence across all owned and earned channels
- Manage relationships with corporate partners to ensure that marketing deliverables are on brand and drive strategic objectives
- Approve and manage contracts with vendors, including consultants, graphic designers, photographers, and content specialists
About you- You have:
- A passion for the mission of Code for America
- A strong lens toward equity, inclusion, and uplifting marginalized voices
- 10+ years of marketing, brand strategy, and communications experience
- Proven management and team leadership experience in a fast-paced, high-volume, resource-conscious environment
- A proven track record of successfully managing integrated, cross-functional, sophisticated brand and product campaigns from end to end
- Experience inspiring creative thinking and leading cross-functional teams to successful outcomes
- Event marketing experience and can provide strategic thought partnership for both small and large scale events
- An analytical and data-driven approach to solving problems and a metrics-driven, entrepreneurial, growth mindset that informs strategy and tactical work
- Excellent verbal communication skills, and flexible marketing writing skills with the ability to write concise briefs, web, email, ad copy, etc.
- Experience and comfort talking about equity and justice
- Thrived in a fast-paced environment; consumer brand and/or startup experience is a plus
- What’s needed to tackle complex problems with a strategic mindset and a thoughtful, creative, collaborative, and proactive approach
- A high level of self-awareness, humility, and emotional intelligence and is skilled at giving and receiving constructive feedback to and from direct reports and peers
- Proven ability to meet and maintain federal, state, and local guidelines
- A proactive approach to reaching goals and completing projects, no task is too small
It’s a bonus points if you/have:
- Experience with government technology procurement
- Experience working with a social impact-focused product team
- Experience working in government
- Experience in events
- Experience in digital marketing (email/social media/ad-copy)
- In-depth domain knowledge in marketing operations and Marketing Automation platforms (e.g., Hubspot, Marketo, Mailchimp)
- Understanding of financial management and budgets
- Experience with agile product development and working in iterative planning cycles
- Written and verbal fluency in Spanish
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi- annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion, we extend this to our hiring process. This role at this level is ranged from $131,750 – $178,250 in yearly salary. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. That target for this role is $149,188. These ranges and the target are for the San Francisco/ Bay Area market and subject to adjustment for cost of living differentials.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.