At Teachable we empower creators to transform their knowledge into income. To accomplish this, our products enable individuals and small businesses to create, host and sell online courses and coaching. Teachable Creators has tens of thousands of active creators who’ve reached more than 45 million students around the world, teaching a diverse array of topics, ranging from crafting to card tricks to coding. Fifty million people worldwide consider themselves to be creators. More than two million people earn enough from their passion projects to consider it their full-time income. The rise of the creator economy means more people than ever want to share what they know and monetize it. Teachable is poised to offer best-in-class solutions to this ever-growing market.
In 2020, Teachable was acquired by Hotmart Company, a global leader in the Creator Economy with a shared mission of empowering creators to live out their passions. With offices in eight countries and more than 35 million users worldwide, Hotmart’s partnership ensures our creators—current and future—have access to best-in-class technology tools, so they can scale their online businesses with ease and truly make an impact on their students’ lives.
We seek an experienced Director of Product to help us direct and execute our core product strategy. You will lead a team of Group Product Managers and Product Managers, while collaborating with members of the technical leadership team and other cross-functional leaders to plan, execute, and iterate on our Core product roadmap. We’re looking for someone who is highly experienced, pragmatic, and truly excited to participate in the Creator economy, which is expected to more than triple in size in the next 5 years alone.
Reporting to the VP of Product, you’ll be a valuable member of Teachable’s technical leadership team while having an opportunity to have an immense impact on the success of our current and future creators. You bring product vision and a passion for delivering quality products, have a profound understanding of our customers’ needs, and are a sought-after people manager and mentor.
In partnership with our Engineering and Design leaders, you will be responsible for the features and functionality in our platform we lovingly call “Core”. This encompasses everything from managing knowledge content (online courses), student enrollment, customer management, assignments / quizzes, interaction capabilities, interoperability and more.
You will lead and foster a high-performing, cross-functional team that owns the end-to-end creator lifecycle – from onboarding new users, enabling high quality learning experiences, to scaling business operations.
Our development teams are structured into cross-functional Product Engineering pods each consisting of 4-6 engineers, an Engineering Manager, a Product Manager and a Product Designer. You will oversee multiple pods spanning customer-facing feature development, supporting your engineering leads and managers and ensuring the successful execution of their initiatives and operations.
On the strategic level you will be responsible for developing the overall direction and roadmap for our Core product capabilities in alignment with your engineering partners, and other internal departments. You will also be expected to continue building your team’s capabilities as your area of the business grows by hiring the right people and structuring the teams to be as effective as possible.
What You’ll Do:
- Strategic leadership of the Core capabilities of our platform, including content management, workflow tools, student / customer management, integrations/API and more
- Continuously communicate and evangelize product strategy to provide vision, inspiration and motivation to employees and stakeholders within the Core Product group
- Collaborate closely with engineering and product leadership to implement and lead efficient and iterative SDLC (software development lifecycle), quarterly planning and release processes
- Lead the execution of our product roadmap, ensuring that vision and strategy become tangible outcomes
- Develop a strong Product organization by recruiting, mentoring, training and coaching team members. The Director of Product will directly manage 2 Group Product Managers (currently overseeing a team of 3 Product Managers)
- Work with Engineering, Sales & Marketing, Customer Operations, Legal, Finance and Leadership members to ensure both strategic alignment and tactical progress towards our product goals
- Connect regularly with Product leaders throughout Hotmart Co. to ensure alignment and integration across our parent company’s portfolio of product offerings
Who You Are:
- You have at least 6-8 years of relevant work experience in a high-growth tech startup or growth stage technology company, including at least 2 years as a people manager
- You have a proven track record of building Product teams, including recruiting, managing and developing Product Managers
- You have experience leading product teams as well as experience with SaaS products
- Familiarity with the Creator economy or providing solutions to solopreneurs/individuals and small businesses is a plus
- You have a genuine interest in our domain; you are passionate about the Creator economy, education, knowledge sharing and/or enabling individuals to become successful through entrepreneurship
- You have a demonstrated ability to not only establish, but also successfully execute on a product roadmap, taking concepts from discovery to development to release, working collaboratively with multiple teams to deliver outcomes
- You bias towards action, prioritizing testing, learning and continuous innovation
- You’re data-driven, with a deep understanding of business metrics and quantitative goal-setting and its impact on prioritization
- You’re someone who values ruthless prioritization and cross-team alignment. You can balance technical feasibility concerns along with user experience and business goals, weighing quick wins with long-term investments appropriately
- You’re someone who is empathetic with customer needs and ensures the output of our technology team addresses them
- You are a strong written and verbal communicator, and can explain and synthesize complexity with ease
- You’re a problem-solver who can help address roadblocks and take on complex problems as needed.
- Experience working with multi-national/global organizations with multiple stakeholders
- Personal connection to the Creator economy or entrepreneurship
- Previous experience working within EdTech
- Ability to speak Portuguese is a plus!
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than a billion dollars to date.
Since our founding, we’ve raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now part of Hotmart Company, a global tech group focused on the Creator Economy, with over 1,800 employees in 8 countries (Netherlands, USA, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Colombia, France and UK). Hotmart´s mission is to help creators make a living from their passions, using digital products to entertain, help and instruct their audiences.
Teachable is continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won’t hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you’ll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Teachable operates under a hybrid work model, meaning we give our employees the flexibility to work from home or from one of our offices at their leisure (unless otherwise mentioned in a job description).
Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premium
Generous Vacation, Personal, and Sick Time
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
4% 401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
50% gym & wellness match
$250 Donation Match Program
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we’re committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.