Director of Software Engineering
As a Director of Software Engineering, you will be responsible for cross functional alignment between all the various business teams required for successful delivery of corporate roadmap. You are an experienced technical manager who is focused on career mentoring of managers, understands how to manage large teams and is capable of managing matrix organizations. Directors are strategic, focused on longer term projects/deliverables and develop KPIs. You will spend roughly 50% of the time managing down, 25% of the time managing out and 25% of the time developing architectural and process strategy for team improvement.
Our products range from point-of-sale (POS) to wholesale marketplace to delivery fleet management and reporting. Additionally, as we expand our platform to provide end-to-end SaaS solutions for the cannabis supply chain, it will be increasingly necessary to unify the framework and architecture on which the platform operates so that each product works seamlessly with one another. You’ll be responsible for consistently delivering meaningful features, applications and technology solutions that solve the business needs of suppliers, brands and retailers in the cannabis space as well as the governmental agencies to whom they report.
This is a strategic role that requires strong partnership with other functions across the company. You’ll partner with other leaders across the company to translate technology capabilities into strategic business decisions. You’ll drive accountability and metrics ownership to translate strategy into results. And you’ll align and inspire your organization by effectively communicating the strategy and driving the team to build a world class marketplace in the cannabis space.
The impact you’ll make:
- Recruit, hire, grow and retain top performing talent that is passionate about the technology platform for the cannabis industry
- Provide alignment from corporate goals to individual engineer goals
- Manage managers and technical architects
- Drive and champion a culture of continuous learning to improve execution and remove roadblocks
- Lead, grow and inspire the engineering teams, while building strong ownership and accountability within the team and management layer as the business and product complexity grows at rapid pace
- Work with managers on personnel issues
- Conduct skip level meetings to know the pulse of the team
- Provide oversight, direction and technical leadership for the overarching Weedmaps’ technology stack including Elixir, Ruby, Node JS, React, Docker, Kubernetes, CI/CD, AWS as well as foster new emerging technologies in the web scale and mobile space.
- Partner closely with the leadership of other teams including Technology, People, Design, QA, Product, and Operations
- Act as an ambassador for the organization at technology conferences and events
- Build and develop teams of Engineering Managers while challenging and motivating team to accomplish significant deliverables with tight deadlines
- Communicate problems and solutions, team challenges, and overall productivity of teams with executive leadership
- Develop KPIs for measuring team performance and deliver performance reviews for your team members
- Influence quality and productivity improvements through involvement in the development of new and improved procedures, process innovations, training, and changes in corporate culture
What You’ve Accomplished:
- 5+ years of engineering management experience in high-growth engineering organizations, with 3+ years of managing and developing engineering managers
- Experience with organizations in growth mode and understand how to rollout processes and manage change within a growing organization
- Experience working with product teams, business stakeholders managing expectations and building cross functional alignment
- Proven experience building, growing, inspiring and retaining a collaborative and client-focused team of managers and engineers
- Ability to develop KPIs for measuring team performance and deliver performance reviews for your team members
- Experience working with and leading onsite and remote teams
- Experience leading large scale organizations of 50+ engineers; training and motivating managers to up-level their teams
- Experience working in an e-commerce space as an engineer and leader building applications and technology to engage consumers and foster growth
- Experience with PCI compliant systems and merchant processing systems is a plus
- Strong ability to support and mentor team members to accomplish team goals
- Effective and persuasive communication skills at all levels of management, both written and verbal
- Experience working collaboratively at a high level with other teams within an organization
- Ability to take a leadership role in an Agile (Scrum) environment
- Familiarity with frontend and backend technologies and concerns
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent degree / work experience
- Ecommerce / Marketplace experience is a plus
- 100% paid employee monthly Medical, Dental and Vision premiums AND 80% paid dependent monthly premiums
- HMO (California residents only) and PPO option offered through United Healthcare
- Company-paid $50,000 in Basic Life/AD&D (Accidental Death and Dismemberment) coverage
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: 100% match on the first 1%. 50% match from 2-6% of employee contributions
- 3 weeks PTO (accrued) and 5 sick days (immediate)
- Supplemental, voluntary benefits
- Kindbody (family planning/fertility) including up to $10,000 towards cash-pay services
- Goodly (Student Loan Repayment/529 Education Savings) including a company contribution of up to $1,000/year
- Flexible Spending Accounts (Medical, Dependent, Transit and Parking)
- Voluntary Life Insurance
- Critical Illness
- Accident Insurance
- Short- and long-term disability
- Pet Insurance
- Paid parental leave
- During current work-from-home:
- Reimbursements for home office setup and monthly WiFi
- 11 company-paid holidays
- Catered lunch and snacks provided when working in the office
- Snack boxes sent straight to your door when you work-from-home
- Casual work environment, read no fancy clothes required, but you are free to dress to the nines!
- Monthly virtual happy hours
- Quarterly all-hands meetings
Weedmaps is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. We are looking for the smartest and most passionate people who want to join our team and develop the services, systems, and marketplaces that will serve the marijuana industry in the decades to come. Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.dhs.gov/E-Verify.
Founded in 2008, Weedmaps is a leading technology and software infrastructure provider to the cannabis industry. Our suite of cloud-based software and data solutions includes point of sale, logistics and ordering solutions that enable customers to scale their businesses while complying with the complex and disparate regulations applicable to the cannabis industry. In addition, our platform provides consumers with information regarding cannabis products across web and mobile platforms, including listing local retailers and brands, facilitating product discovery and allowing consumers to educate themselves on cannabis and its history, uses and legal status. Headquartered in Irvine, California, Weedmaps employs more than 400 professionals around the world, with offices including Barcelona, Denver, and Toronto.
So what are you waiting for? Join the Weedmaps family!