What You’ll Do:
As the Director of Technology and Services, you will not only be leading the management and scaling of our world class network that serves our customers, but you will also manage our applications and services, databases, operations and incident management, network and system architecture, and network/system/infrastructure monitoring. You will work directly with Product Management, UX, Development, and Support Teams to drive forward critical strategic needs, as well as, day to day operations.
Come join us at Bigleaf to help businesses connect to their customers, people like us, people like you!
- Develop a world class operations team of Network and Systems Engineers directly responsible for the availability and reliability of Bigleaf’s network
- Scale and run our web application and associated systems (database, monitoring infrastructure, etc)
- Lead activities in selecting and managing datacenters, upstream carriers, and peering exchanges in globally distributed locations, configuring routers and switches, scaling planning, refining BGP and OSPF traffic engineering, troubleshooting packet loss, improving internet peering, and other similar tasks
- Advance operational discipline, iterating on reliability engineering and operations best practices in a fast-moving and collaborative environment
- Prioritize platform initiatives and ensure reliability and automation goals are continually met
- Develop and measure KPIs to gauge the health of the platform you run and motivate your team towards hardened processes and practices
- Recruit, lead, mentor, and retain a team of high-performance Engineers, ensuring their success and growth in a rapidly evolving industry
- Own and operate both traditional network equipment and custom Linux-based systems. You’ll work with these platforms manually and through automation, with a focus on expanding our automation coverage
- 7+ years of hands-on involvement of network and/or systems engineering, and customer hosted and cloud-based infrastructure, in a distributed environment
- 4+ years experiencing managing high performance engineering and operations teams, with experience leading in a public-facing service provider environment preferred
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or a related technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Experience managing, monitoring, and scaling Linux systems at large scale, with hundreds of key servers and/or thousands of nodes total (including Debian, Graphite, Grafana, Bamboo, Postgres, Puppet, Ansible, etc)
- Strong ability to clearly communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical people in written and spoken English
- A passion for serving customers in a humble and consultative manner
- Natural ability to incrementally troubleshoot technical problems
- A significant understanding of Linux fundamentals. Experience with the Linux networking subsystem a strong plus
- Experience or deep familiarity with dynamic routing protocols including BGP and/or OSPF, and some understanding of troubleshooting various protocol issues
Who We Are:
Bigleaf Networks improves Cloud connectivity and Internet performance. We are a team of telecom and network software professionals who built our Cloud-first SD-WAN service based on the natural architecture of leaves. We provide a better Internet experience with simple implementation, friendly support, and powerful technology.
Bigleaf exists because of leaders and dreamers who believed there was a better solution to a technological need in business. As we continue to grow, we keep this leadership mentality in mind, and we encourage each other to constantly be improving by developing grit, servant leadership, diversity, and innovation.
Our Core Values:
Whether working with a customer or interacting with one another around the office, Bigleaf’s core values are heartfelt service, positive attitude, transparency, and focus. At our core, we are here at Bigleaf to develop technology that will help people, and these values help us maintain that intention.
Highlight of our Benefits:
- Medical (We pay 100% for all levels of coverage)
- Dental & Vision (We pay 100% for all levels of coverage)
- Life insurance, long term disability
- 401k with dollar for dollar safe harbor match
- Stock options plan
- Generous parental leave (6 weeks)
- 4 weeks of PTO +1 week of Wellness Time per year
- 13 Company Holidays
- Wellness Reimbursement
- Technology/Remote Work Stipend
- Monthly credit for GrubHub
- 2x per year full company offsite events!
This is a very exciting period of growth for our team. We appreciate you taking the time to carefully read through this ad. Our vision is to bring peace into the lives of our customers through advanced technology and excellent service. If you would like to join us in this role, please send along a resume and cover letter of how you meet the qualifications above and why you’re interested. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, life insurance, long term disability, 401k with match and a stock options plan.
We’re building a team in addition to a product, and we value and seek inclusion and diversity in that team. We are an equal opportunity employer. We encourage diversity and feel it makes our teams stronger, so we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet the exact qualifications for this role.