Disinformation Evaluator, Croatian Language (Contract)
Duration: February 2021 – June 2021 (4 month duration)
Hours: 40 hours/week
The Wikimedia movement, dedicated to freely sharing the knowledge of humankind, is embarking on a renewal of its collaborative governance approach. The Croatian Disinformation Contractor will investigate a long-standing movement concern, whether some Croatian language content and governance structures on the platform might be uniquely vulnerable to disinformation efforts. Disinformation is the deliberate spread of false or misleading information with the intent to deceive. The role is located in and will closely partner with other parts of the Legal department, especially the Trust & Safety Disinformation team.
You are responsible for:
- Reviewing community reports about Croatian language content hosted on the platform by May 31, 2021
- Reviewing community reports about Croatian language governance processes on content creation and curation
- Conducting research into Croatian language content hosted on the platform to identify if other patterns of disinformation exist
- Engaging deeply with the relevant Wikimedia communities and affiliates in their language(s) in the course of the evaluation
- Interviewing stewards and other movement leaders to evaluate their perspective on the challenge
- Recommending strategic approaches to defend Croatian language projects in Wikimedia and other Wikimedia projects from organized or grass-roots disinformation campaigns
- Producing a summary report of the evaluation’s findings for publication on Meta wiki
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience:
- Experienced in critical review techniques applied to Croatian content topic areas often subjected to disinformation efforts
- Strong communicator (both verbally and in writing) in Croatian and English, able to explain the ongoing work to audiences ranging from open community meetings with individual volunteers to closed executive sessions
- Able to focus on the larger picture, understanding, and able to express which concerns and views articulated by community members or their stakeholders are widespread and which are marginal or individual
- Strongly empathetic – they will excel at understanding the perspectives of others and bridging the gap between different approaches
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Familiarity with Wikimedia projects is a major plus
- Additional fluency in other Southeastern European languages
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.