Donor Relations Specialist
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Donor Relations Specialist to join our team, reporting to the Donor Relations Manager. The Donor Relations team handles a high volume of donor inquiries in multiple languages during our year-round global online fundraising campaigns. As the first line of contact between Wikimedia Foundation and tens of thousands of donors each year, this high-profile team is made up of professional communicators, who see each correspondence as a chance to positively engage donors and educate them about our mission. You will also be responsible for providing support to the Fundraising Operations team, responding to a wide range of donor inquiries from around the world in multiple languages using an online ticket-based customer service platform. In this position, you will be communicating with donors over email in multiple languages and also spend a portion of your time translating messages from English to various European languages. This remote, full time position offers flexible scheduling, however, in order to assist Europe-based donors in a timely manner via email, we are looking for someone who is available to work hours that are compatible with the European time zone.
You are responsible for:
- Working with a global team of colleagues to respond to donor inquiries via email efficiently and professionally in multiple languages
- Acting as an ambassador for the Wikimedia Foundation brand and Wikipedia. As the first line of contact for tens of thousands of donors each year, interaction is done with an eye to making each correspondence a chance to positively engage donors
- Working with the Donor Relations manager to identify translation needs and coordinate the translations workflow for the team
- Acquiring a broad knowledge base of the Wikimedia Foundation projects and fundraising program, our payment methods, and our donation flows across different fundraising campaigns
- Gaining proficiency in the multiple systems we use for donor communication and organization of donor records
- Collaborating with team leads to stay informed of Wikimedia Foundation, community, and media developments to efficiently answer any related donor inquiries
- Problem solving for donors: investigating why donations failed, fraud, database issues, etc.
- Administration of donor records, as needed, to ensure our donor base is up to date and accurate, with an eye to having each donor’s history of support accurately reflected in their record
Skills and Experience:
- Willingness to learn a large and evolving knowledge base, and to deploy it creatively to solve problems and help donors
- Consistently high level of attention to detail
- Excellent communication skills in English and customer-service orientation
- Fluency in languages other than English, particularly Spanish, Italian, French, or Dutch
- Experience with spreadsheets and a CRM database
- Professional attitude and willingness to collaborate and maintain positive, respectful relationships
- Excellent organizational skills, including the capacities to prioritize multiple workflows and frequently adapt to new developments
- 3+ years related experience
Qualities that are important to us:
- Flexible and open to change and new information
- Comfortable working in a highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
- Ability to work effectively in multiple cultural contexts
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Experience with non-profit fundraising or online payment processing
- Interest in the global free knowledge movement, free / open-source software, and collaborative technology
- Experience working with Zendesk
The Wikimedia Foundation is…
…the nonprofit organization that hosts and operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge, free of interference. We host the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive. The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive financial support from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com or (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Fully paid medical, dental and vision coverage for employees and their eligible families (yes, fully paid premiums!)
- The Wellness Program provides reimbursement for mind, body and soul activities such as fitness memberships, baby sitting, continuing education and much more
- The 401(k) retirement plan offers matched contributions at 4% of annual salary
- Flexible and generous time off – vacation, sick and volunteer days, plus 22 paid holidays – including the last week of the year.
- Family friendly! 100% paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, flexible options to phase back in after leave, fully equipped lactation room.
- For those emergency moments – long and short term disability, life insurance (2x salary) and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax savings plans for health care, child care, elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
- Telecommuting and flexible work schedules available
- Appropriate fuel for thinking and coding (aka, a pantry full of treats) and monthly massages to help staff relax
- Great colleagues – diverse staff and contractors speaking dozens of languages from around the world, fantastic intellectual discourse, mission-driven and intensely passionate people
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO to ensure alignment with local labor laws.