DonorsChoose engages the public in public schools by giving people a simple, accountable, and personal way to address educational inequity. In this clip, board member Stephen Colbert tells our story.
To date, teachers at 83% of all the public schools in America have posted classroom project requests on our site. Projects range from paper and markers for a poetry writing unit to violins for a school recital. More than 4 million “citizen philanthropists” have supported such projects, channeling books, field trips, technology, and other resources to more than 40 million students nationwide. In all, we’ve generated $1 billion for learning experiences designed by our country’s most dedicated public school teachers.
GOOD Magazine highlighted us as one of 30 Places We Want to Work, while Fast Company named DonorsChoose one of the 50 Most Innovative Companies in the World—the first time a charity has made this list. Through its dedicated team and culture, DonorsChoose earned recognition as the #1 “Best Nonprofit to Work For” by the Nonprofit Times.
Marketing & Community Team Overview
This role will sit on the Marketing & Community Team. Our goal this school year is to inspire more than 600,000 individuals to give $80M to the 150,000 teachers who will post classroom projects on our website. To drive this funding and teacher participation, we: 1) Build connections between our organization, teachers, partners and donors; 2) Empower and educate our community of teachers to be successful on DonorsChoose; 3) Inspire new and repeat givers to support classroom projects; 4) Listen to our teachers and donors to determine and advocate for their needs.
As a Researcher and Moderator, you would be key to helping us build relationships with our most engaged donors and teachers.
In this role, you will focus on:
- Researching and thanking individual donors who give through the DonorsChoose website as the first step in building relationships with them; and
- Moderating posts, answering questions, and reporting on trends within our online teacher community (with 25K+ members), so that it remains a warm, safe, and organized space.
And you will work on projects and daily tasks such as:
- Using Google and the DonorsChoose database to research our most generous supporters and corporate / foundation partners in order to identify and create high-value engagement opportunities
- Recording research findings in Salesforce
- Identifying stand-out donors and bringing them to the attention of the Donor Relationships Manager, the CEO, and other relevant teams
- Personally thanking a subset of researched donors through email
- Answering questions about donations by email and phone
- Answering questions in our teacher Facebook community
- Surfacing trends in what teachers are talking about in our teacher Facebook community to the larger marketing team and other key stakeholders
- Executing one-off projects aimed at bringing inclusion and diversity to the donor research process, driving engagement, and/or delighting specific donors
- Participation in team meetings and and presentations, as relevant
- You love solving mysteries and learning more about people. You never miss a chance to Google a person before meeting them.
- You find it easy to keep your tone warm and thoughtful, whether it’s over email, on social media, or on the phone.
- You find joy in the little things. You love performing small actions that can have a great impact.
- You pay attention to details. You catch even the small things, and will be sure to include the word “opposite” in your application response.
- You have a knack for knowing who your audience is and how best to interact with and delight them. You get a rush from figuring out the exact right gift for a special occasion or person.
- You’re confident when interacting with external contacts in a professional manner.
- You’re a great teammate who always pitches in to help.
- Hours: Flexible schedules with 15 guaranteed hours per week. Can vary between 15 – 29 hours a week, dependent on seasonal workload.
- Days: Daily schedule is flexible between the hours of 9 am – 9 pm.
- Location: DonorsChoose national office in New York City or remote in CA, FL, GA, IL, IN, MD, MI, NJ, NY, OR, TX, or WI
- Compensation: Starting at $17 per hour and commensurate with experience
- DonorsChoose is a fully vaccinated workplace and all new employees, regardless of their work location, will be asked to share proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 within two weeks of their hire date or request an exemption from this policy due to a disability or sincerely held religious belief or practice.
Please submit your resume online and answer the application questions. A cover letter is optional and may be addressed to Stacy Perrault, Donor Relationships Manager.
A Final Note
The DonorsChoose.org team works toward a nation where students in every community have the resources needed for an excellent education. To do this we hire and support a diverse team of the best and the brightest talent available.
We are an organization increasingly representative of the varied races and ethnicities, genders and sexual orientations, religious and political beliefs, and abilities that comprise our nation. DonorsChoose.org focuses on attracting, retaining, and advancing diverse talent because it makes us more effective, high-performing, creative, and resilient.
If you are passionate about our mission, highly skilled in your field, and looking for a place where you can bring all of yourself to work, we want you.