At Eight Bit Studios, our fully remote team is made up of skilled UX Strategists, Digital Product Designers, Mobile and Web Developers, Project Managers, Account & Sales Managers and QA Analysts. We care deeply about partnering with our clients to deliver human-centered, fun, and beautiful mobile and web products that we can all take pride in.
Our Technology Team is full of well-rounded, dedicated, multidisciplinary technologists who are passionate about learning. We collaborate closely with Design and UX to deliver the best digital experiences to our users and we stretch the boundaries of our capabilities to ensure our amazing team executes with the highest fidelity.
At your core you have a passion for technology, people, and process. You know how to leverage your team’s talents and proactively support them in their craft and their development. You have an eagle-eye on team utilization and proactive forecasting to make sure our teams are set up for success and projects are delivered on time and delivered beautifully. You’ve been a leader in a custom software development or technology agency space in the past, and you can bring your experience to support our small, mighty, and motivated team. You’ve led in an Agile environment and are solid in your tech chops, but you know the best leaders aren’t doers – they empower their teams and remove roadblocks through proactive communication, collaboration, and strategic leadership. You care deeply about diversity and inclusion in tech and are committed to your own learning and development.
What you need for the role
The Director of Technology – Mobile and Software Engineering role truly is a blend of strategic leadership and people development, and you will apply your strategy, leadership & delivery orientation to improve our delivery and productivity. Here’s the experience we know will set you up for success as the next Director of Tech:
- 5+ years experience leading teams in an agile delivery, ideally in an agency or consultancy environment
- 8+ years experience as a coder on a cross-functional delivery team
- An understanding of how to develop robust, testable, scaleable technical solutions
- Expertise managing the delivery of billable work to expand the tech team’s impact on client projects to support the growth of our client accounts
- Proven success managing team utilization on current and future work. You will need to understand the new business pipelines and project requirements to best forecast new roles, hire against our current client requirements, and effectively utilize your team’s time
- Strong People management skills – specifically leading developers through craft mentorship and talent & skill development in regular 1:1s and annual review cycles. Experience setting up systems of accountability is a plus
- Demonstrated ability to lead, initiate change, and collaborate within a leadership team and across an organization to drive company goals and initiatives
- Confidence to represent Eight Bit Studios in the tech community and to participate cross-functionally as a part of the senior management team, interacting with customers and customer management (C-level) as part of technology updates and reviews
- Strong problem solving skills, creative instincts, and a passion for building systems and processes that support team growth
Here’s why people love working at Eight Bit
We recognize that the key to our ability to deliver on great digital products is tied to creating an inclusive environment where people can do their best work. At Eight Bit, we care a great deal about balancing our work and life, so our people-first employee package for full time employees includes competitive compensation and healthcare benefits, generous vacation time, paid holidays, an annual end of year office closure, paid parental leave, a $1000 remote work stipend, and flexible (that means parent & remote learning friendly) work schedules, along with fun company activities and a supportive work environment – even over Zoom.
**We are excited open the option of this role being a full time (40 hours/week) or reduced time (32 hours/week) with Fridays off. If you are interested in a leadership role with a scaled back capacity, let us know! We are happy to support work-life balance and a great candidate who is looking for a 4 day work week**
We take equality seriously
Eight Bit Studios is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal opportunity employment without regard to race, religion, color, gender (including gender identity, change of sex and transgender status), sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.