Elastic is an open source search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co.
NOTE: Preferred location is Europe, or Eastern Time Zone in North America
Elasticsearch is the distributed search and analytics engine that sits at the core of the Elastic Stack. The development team is organised into functional area teams, each with a technical area lead. We are looking for a Team Lead (Director of Engineering) who will take responsibility for people management and software delivery, working with the close support of technical area leads. You don’t always need to be the person with the answer or the person making the decisions, but instead should be able to guide discussions to help the team make decisions together and communicate effectively. The Elasticsearch team includes engineers from all around the globe so the ability to work within a distributed team is essential.
What you will be doing
- Lead, retain, develop, and mentor high-performing and diverse Leads and Engineers within the Elasticsearch team
- Lead the efficient delivery for time-boxed software releases, ensuring high quality and innovative feature development
- Mentor other Leads on delivering complex cross-team engineering projects
- Build roadmaps and lead prioritization; balance the right amount of structure and planning for a fast-paced engineering team
- Work with our Product Management team to ensure requirements and the “why” are clear
- Foster a culture of mutual respect and collaborative decision making
- Stay true to the principles of software development as adopted by our team
- Identify staffing requirements and help drive recruitment of high quality colleagues
- Support the development and training of direct reports through regular performance evaluations
- Be an awesome person to work with, somebody who sincerely empathizes with others
What you will bring along
- Experience leading large teams of managers and software engineers (35+)
- Experience hiring new leaders into management positions
- Experience leading complex engineering projects that cross engineering teams
- Prior experience as a hands-on software engineer and strength in computer science fundamentals to understand the engineering work that is going on in your team
- Track record of mentoring other leaders on hiring, performance management, and project execution
- Strong written and spoken communication skills in English
- A compassionate approach to communication, a good sense of humor, and a genuine interest in the success and growth of the people you work with
Experience in the following areas would be a bonus
- Search and analytics tools
- Distributed systems design and development
- Time-based development
- Speaking/presenting at tech conferences
- Open source projects and companies
- Automated testing
Additional Information – We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving – We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.