Elastic is an open source search company that powers enterprise search, observability, and security solutions built on one technology stack that can be deployed anywhere. From finding documents to monitoring infrastructure to hunting for threats, Elastic makes data usable in real time and at scale. Thousands of organizations worldwide, including Barclays, Cisco, eBay, Fairfax, ING, Goldman Sachs, Microsoft, The Mayo Clinic, NASA, The New York Times, Wikipedia, and Verizon, use Elastic to power mission-critical systems. Founded in 2012, Elastic is a distributed company with Elasticians around the globe. Learn more at elastic.co.
We’re looking for a Principal Java Engineer to join the Elasticsearch team, focusing on our search and aggregations. Our globally-distributed and diverse team builds Elasticsearch, the heart of the ELK stack. Come help us work to deliver a robust and feature-rich search experience to our millions of users, including contributing to improving the search experience in the Lucene community.
Engineering a distributed system that is easy to operate via elegantly designed APIs is a challenge. It requires software development skills and the ability to think like a user. We care deeply about giving you ownership of what you’re working on. Our company believes we achieve greatness when they are set free and are surrounded and challenged by their peers. At Elastic, we effectively don’t have a hierarchy to speak of; we feel that you should be empowered to comment on anything, regardless of your role within the company.
What You Will Be Doing:
- Design and implement new, fast, horizontally-scalable features and APIs in Elasticsearch, integrating and exposing new features from Apache Lucene. You’ll propose technical approaches, discuss them, and have ownership of the features you work on.
- Improve existing APIs to make them address more use-cases while keeping their surface area contained.
- Work with the community on bugs and performance issues, and assist our support engineers with tougher customer issues.
What You Bring Along:
- You are highly proficient in Java, conversant in the standard library of data structures and concurrency constructs, as well as newer features like lambdas.
- You have experience with Lucene, Solr, or another search technology, and understand the basics of indexing and querying documents.
- You have led large, cross-functional projects for engineering teams.
- You’ve worked on open source projects before and are familiar with different styles of source control workflow and continuous integration.
- You’ve built things with Elasticsearch before, and understand how distributed systems operate and the limitations and advantages.
Additional Information – We Take Care of Our People
As a distributed company, diversity drives our identity. Whether you’re looking to launch a new career or grow an existing one, Elastic is the type of company where you can balance great work with great life. Your age is only a number. It doesn’t matter if you’re just out of college or your children are; we need you for what you can do.
We strive to have parity of benefits across regions and while regulations differ from place to place, we believe taking care of our people is the right thing to do.
- Competitive pay based on the work you do here and not your previous salary
- Health coverage for you and your family in many locations
- Ability to craft your calendar with flexible locations and schedules for many roles
- Generous number of vacation days each year
- Double your charitable giving – We match up to $1500 (or local currency equivalent)
- Up to 40 hours each year to use toward volunteer projects you love
- Embracing parenthood with minimum of 16 weeks of parental leave
Different people approach problems differently. We need that. Elastic is committed to diversity as well as inclusion. We are an equal opportunity employer and committed to the principles of affirmative action. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law, ordinance or regulation. If you require any reasonable accessibility support, please email email@example.com.
Please see here for our Privacy Statement.