Email Fundraising (Developer) Specialist
The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for an Email Developer Specialist to join the Online Fundraising team, reporting to Senior Manager, Global Fundraising Campaigns. As the Email Developer Specialist, you will play a critical role in the online fundraising team’s year-round, multilingual fundraising and engagement campaigns. The magic of the online fundraising team’s process is its dedication to controlled (“a/b”) testing, which leverages Wikipedia’s audience of millions of readers to iterate and improve all elements of our online donor pipeline. We use that testing model on the email team to contact more than 15 million people each year while ensuring we respect our donors’ inboxes. The Email Developer Specialist will provide professional expertise in executing work with the Campaigns team, including: leading the production of bug-free email and banner templates that render identically across browsers, clients and devices; implementing automated email journeys; and identifying process improvements and revenue optimizations.In this role, you will be a critical part of getting out the message to Wikipedia readers and donors that free knowledge is worth supporting.
You are responsible for:
- Working closely with the Senior Email Campaign Specialists to code emails and provide donors with high quality messages optimized for their own language and culture
- Coordinating with Senior Email Campaign Specialists and other teams to successfully fulfill the campaign strategic plans, including timelines, new features and A/B tests. When necessary, leading them.
- Developing professional expertise in Wikimedia email and/or banner procedures and apply them to resolve a variety of challenges of moderate scope
- Guiding and assisting the Campaigns team to understand nuances of our ESP, so that emails can be coded the most optimal way
- Ensuring optimal email and banner technical QA execution
- Assisting with prioritization of tracking management and development of projects in our systems
- Assisting with query cutting of segments for email campaigns
- Coordinating with Associates to clean up code in templates and maintaining archives
- Coordinating with Associates presentations highlights deck
- As needed, support Growth & Campaigns team with web development of banners on Wikipedia
- Supporting documentation and summaries for posterity
Skills and Experience:
- Solid proficiency with HTML, CSS and experience with dynamic content and variables
- Basic design skills
- High level attention to detail
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or +1 (415) 839-6885.
U.S. Benefits & Perks*
- Health Care Benefits Covered at 100%: We cover 100% of premiums for medical, dental and vision plans for all full time employees and eligible dependents
- Wellness Reimbursement Program: Up to 1,800.00 USD per year for reimbursement for staff wellness expenses, such as gym fees, educational expenses, and more
- Technology and Equipment Stipend: In addition to receiving a brand new laptop, monitor, & docking station, all new hires receive 600.00 USD stipend to set up their space for working virtually
- Professional Development Program: Up to 750.00 USD reimbursement per year to encourage continuous learning through attending conferences, courses, workshops and the purchase of educational materials
- 401(k) Retirement Plan: Employer match of up to 4% of employee contributions dollar for dollar with no vesting period
- Paid Time Off: Generous paid time off policy of over 45 days, which includes: vacation days, at least one observed holiday a month, sick leave, and volunteer days
- Flexible Schedules: Options available to balance your personal and remote-work life
- New Parent Leave: Fully paid new parent leave for seven weeks plus an additional five weeks for pregnancy, and flexible options as you embark on your return to work
- Fertility and Adoption Reimbursement Plan: Reimburses staff up to 5,000.00 USD in expenses per year, with a lifetime maximum of 10,000.00 USD
- Assistance for those unexpected life events: Long and short term disability, life insurance, and an employee assistance program
- Pre-tax Savings Plans: Generously funded health savings accounts (HSAs), pre-tax contribution options for health care, child care & elder care, public transportation and parking expenses
*Please note that for remote roles located outside of the U.S., we defer to our PEO (Professional Employee Organization) to ensure alignment with local labor laws.