Engineering Manager at Spare
Spare is adding an Engineering Manager to our team. We’re looking for someone who is great at designing and building scalable systems, supporting a growth-driven team, and has a passion for creating a larger social impact.
As an Engineering Manager, you will be hands-on supporting a full stack team, so you’ll need experience in backend and frontend development as well as infrastructure.
We will be moving current team members onto your team, so you will have lots of resources to get you ramped up quickly!
Our HQ is Vancouver, BC, but this position is open to remote work options across Canada.
✨What you’ll do✨
– Report directly to our CTO, with a direct impact on product strategy and execution
– Coach your direct reports with regular 1on1s as well as more formal performance reviews, growing existing engineers and new team members
– Create and articulate engineering goals, define quarterly objectives, and develop strategies to deliver more value to customers
– Develop and maintain the processes that keep the engineering teams running at full speed
– Lead by example. Increase code quality, decrease time to market for roadmapped features, and innovate with your team
– Own a part of Spare’s codebase and documentation through active participation in code reviews and technical design meetings
– Write and maintain robust, efficient and maintainable code using a variety of languages, frameworks and tools, including React, React Native, and TypeScript
✨Who you are✨
– You have experience hiring, coaching, and leading a team of software engineers
– You get energized from helping others to grow and develop their potential
– You value transparency, trust, and empowerment, delivering honest feedback in a considerate way
– You have experience building sophisticated enterprise platforms using our tech stack or a similar stack: Node.JS, TypeScript, React, React Native, Docker, Kubernetes, PostgreSQL, Google Cloud
– You are comfortable working with infrastructure, automated testing, continuous integration, and managing software delivery into production
– You have a passion for maintaining the architectural integrity of a software project, and have a natural ability to identify scalable solutions to technical problems
– You strive for both beauty and functionality in products that you design
✨What we’re doing @ Spare ✨
Spare is a SaaS platform that enables anyone to launch a smart transportation service. Our mission is to empower cities to transform how their communities move with accessible, sustainable transportation networks, starting with on-demand transit!
We believe in creating a space for everyone to share their ideas, empowering creativity and continuous learning. We’re still at the beginning of our story, and every team member has a key role in shaping the upcoming chapters and Spare’s direction. You will be able to influence your career progression and generate a lasting impact by making headway on the cause for shared mobility.
Not a mobility geek? Take a moment to think about why you chose to live where you do, how easy it is for you to move around, and what makes a city livable. Mobility is paramount in every aspect of our lives, but not everyone has equal and easy access to public transit. Let’s change it together!
✨About Our Team ✨
We strive to build a diverse company full of inclusive, fun, hard-working people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. We look for the kind of people who are dedicated to going above and beyond and will build up the team as a whole by helping each team member achieve their own individual goals.
Spare is for the creative, the personal, the passionate, the uncompromising, and those who want to truly understand the impact transportation has on daily life. We’re still at the beginning of our story, and every team member has a key role in where we are headed.
✨What we offer ✨
A passionate, dedicated team, focused on innovation and building a world-class platform.
The opportunity to make an impact on communities around the world. Add an aspect of social good into your day!
We offer competitive salaries, equity, and a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, and paramedical coverage, as well as an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family (equivalent to 12 hours of counselling annually, as well as financial and caregiver support).
Health, wellness and education support through our $500 Lifestyle Spending policy. Take a course or buy a kayak – it’s on us!
Completely remote-optional work environment and beautiful downtown Vancouver office space if/when you prefer to be in the office.
An inclusive environment, where we focus every day on our people and the people in communities around us.
Spare Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability status.