We are looking for an engineering manager to lead our ~8 person team that is focused on launching the first version of Sourcegraph Cloud.
We have built a very successful business selling Sourcegraph to large enginering organizations, but as of right now, all of our customers run Sourcegraph self-hosted. We have seen clear demand that customers want to be able to use Sourcegraph without needing to worry about how to deploy it, so we are confident that creating the Cloud version of Sourcegraph will allow us to get Universal Code Search in the hands of even more developers. This involves product work to make our application multi-tenant, as well as tech work to make our systems scale to even larger amounts of code.
Why this role is open
Our current engineering manager, Tomás, has done a great job leading the team to it’s current state. Tomás has decided that he wants to move back to a software engineering role at Sourcegraph and we are happy to support him in this transition. You will get to meet Tomás early in the hiring process and he will help you onboard at Sourcegraph.
Why you should be excited about this role
- Be leading the engineering effort for a key part of our business and growth strategy.
- Help us make key strategic decisions about how we scale the cloud effort beyond a single team.
- Work on a team of humble, high agency people who are motivated to succeed and a pleasure to work with.
- Be challenged to grow in your career as we scale our business, product, and team over the next few years.
- Work at an all-remote company that can attract the best development talent worldwide with a generous compensation philosophy and massive equity upside.
- Facilitate and sustain a healthy, inclusive team culture where everyone is set up to do their best work.
- Model, teach, and apply our values and our guiding engineering principles.
- Ensure the team has clear incremental goals that are documented and are always up-to-date.
- Regularly communicate the team’s progress toward their goals as well as changes in team goals to appropriate stakeholders.
- Support and coach teammates to grow in their careers and fulfill their responsibilities.
- Grow the team in a sustainable way so that the team can accomplish more over time.
- You have 2+ years of experience directly managing at least 6 full-time software engineers. We expect you already know how to lead a team.
- You have done some amount of coding in the past 3 years (for example: at work or on a personal project) to keep your skills up-to-date. We expect that you are able to review and provide valuable feedback on code, architecture, and designs.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook
- You apply here.
- Intro calls
- 1h Engineering leadership.
- The interviewers will be Nick Snyder and another Engineering Manager except Tomás.
- 1h Technical experience – We ask you about your past work and accomplishments.
- 1h Team collaboration. We ask you about how you work and communicate in a team setting, and how you handle tricky situations.
- 30m Beyang Liu (CTO)
- 30m Quinn Slack (CEO)
- 1h Engineering leadership.
If we want to move forward after these sets of interviews, we will setup 30-minute calls to meet any members of the Cloud team that weren’t already an interviewer. These calls are informal and don’t have a script.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.