Thinkific is a software platform that gives anyone, anywhere the ability to easily create, market, and sell their own online courses. We believe in impactful and innovative work: our team of 400+ Thinkers is building and expanding an incredible product that empowers creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn, grow, and succeed together. Join us to see how we’re building one of the best workplaces in Canadian tech!
We believe every candidate should have a fair, inclusive, and overall great experience when exploring a new role with Thinkific. That starts with outlining our hiring process so you know what to expect every step of the way—click here to learn more: https://thnk.cc/whattoexpect
Are you passionate about coaching, mentoring, and providing development opportunities to a team of talented engineers? We’re looking for an Engineering Manager (Mobile) to join us at Thinkific.
As an Engineering Manager (Mobile) at Thinkific, you’ll work closely with a Product Manager and Product Designer to lead and support your team of internal and external Mobile Engineers. Together as a team, you’ll deliver an enterprise-level mobile app experience based on our Thinkific platform. In this role, you’ll report into the Senior Manager, Engineering (Mobile) and, rather than being hands-on and writing code, you’ll use your technical background and experience to help the team plan and organize their work, support successful execution, and remove blockers while continuing to grow and scale your team. You’re an agile expert, a highly skilled communicator, a great issue resolver, and an organizer of your people.
Your goal will be to support the Mobile team in launching our first ever Thinkific app. Here’s how you’ll accomplish this:
- Support Engineers by continually looking for ways to improve team efficiency and productivity—you’ll ensure they have everything they need to do their best work while identifying and removing blockers
- Create a continuous performance culture to encourage the growth and development of team members by holding regular 1-on-1s, conducting quarterly performance & development reviews, setting objectives, and providing valuable feedback to team members
- Partner with project leads on the Product Management and Design teams to establish team objectives, product roadmaps, requirements, and technical estimation
- Run the day-to-day operations of your team, including conducting ceremonies such as planning, grooming, and retrospective sessions
- Monitor code delivery and quality, holding the team accountable for upholding engineering principles
- Identify headcount needs for your team, create hiring proposals and briefs, and work with leadership to obtain approval to fill these needs
The person we have in mind likely:
- Has 3+ years of experience managing engineers and building productive, high-functioning teams, with a strong background in enterprise mobile app development using Scrum
- Works with a servant-leader mentality—they believe great leaders need to focus on the growth and well-being of their team members to be successful
- Is an expert in gathering requirements and keeping their team focused on the most important projects and initiatives
- Has strong project management and change management skills—they can juggle multiple conflicting priorities and can make decisions to keep things moving forward
- Loves to learn and grow. They’ve found (and keep looking for) ways to level up their skills in this field, whether that’s through formal education, gaining professional experience, or maybe even building their own business
These things would also be nice, but we think you could learn them on the job:
- Previous experience with mobile app development for a SaaS-based startup or growing technology company
- Are already well-versed in the fundamentals of mobile application design and testing, and have experience with native mobile development or hybrid development frameworks, such as Flutter, Kamarin, and React Native
- Have a strong network of A-players to support our recruiting efforts
This is just our initial idea of who we’re looking for! At Thinkific, we know that people have unique career journeys. If your experience is close to what we’ve described but you feel that you might be missing a few of the requirements, please still apply! We’re also committed to providing a comfortable and accessible interview process for every candidate. If there are any accommodations our team can make throughout our hiring process (big or small), please let us know.
What you can expect if you join Thinkific:
- An amazing team of talented, passionate, and kind Thinkers. Together, we’ve built an amazing culture—we’re one of the Best Workplaces in Canada and a Top Small & Medium Employer!
- The chance to build, improve, and innovate on a platform that’s driving positive impact—we already support 50,000+ active creators in over 165 countries.
- A competitive compensation package. This includes your base salary, equity, and an Employee Share Purchase Plan, on top of some great perks.
- Comprehensive benefits starting on Day 1. We have health, vision, and dental coverage for you and your family, plus $3000 for mental health care and a health or personal spending account.
- A flexible work environment—choose to work from home, at our Vancouver HQ, a co-working space, or anywhere there’s wifi for a change of scenery.
- An open vacation policy and flexible work environment. Our team takes a minimum of 4 weeks vacation each year and makes work fit into their lives (not the other way around).
- Career growth. We put an emphasis on your development with our annual Learn and Grow fund, training, mentorship, coaching, and internal promotion opportunities.
- A home office setup. You’ll be ready to succeed with a company-owned Macbook Pro and a budget to get a desk, chair, or any accessories to help you work comfortably and productively.
- Generous parental leave top-ups for up to 32 weeks, as well as fertility coverage through our group benefits plan.
- A place where you can bring your whole self to work. We know that different perspectives lead to amazing ideas, more innovation, and, ultimately, our success as a company. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, beliefs, identities, and statuses. Whoever you are—we can’t wait to meet you!