We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager for our Money organization. These are the teams responsible for building a frictionless, flexible and complete payments solution for both Students to be able to seamlessly access learning to achieve their knowledge-based goals; and also for our Creators, to empower them and their partners to increase their income by providing the financial and operational tools, services, and programs needed to start selling and scale.
We have two existing teams, Student Commerce and Creator Commerce but are building a new team, Payments Platform.l We need someone to horizontally scale pieces of the operations function within the money function at teachable (i.e. integrations for money movement, tax determination, things that impact both sides of those other pods.) There is lots of greenfield development and the opportunity to scale our Money Organization immensely.
As a part of the engineering leadership team, you will help build the team’s technical vision and direction as well as establish processes and drive initiatives that result in technical, operational, and cultural improvements across the engineering team.
While you will not be expected to write critical path code, you will be directly managing individual contributors and engineering leads and will be expected to have a working knowledge of our architecture and have the technical ability to provide technical strategy.
You are adept at achieving results not through micromanagement but rather through empowering your teams and helping them to run autonomously. Above all else, you are an outstanding people manager who cares deeply about the well-being and growth of your engineers with a track record of coaching your team members to success and developing their careers.
This position reports to the VP of Engineering.
- Manage, coach, and mentor 4-6 direct reports, provide performance feedback, and help them develop their careers.
- Establish and improve team processes in all areas including software development, operational efficiency, and delivery to achieve operational excellence.
- Partner with engineering leadership to help determine engineering team strategy, tackle team-wide inefficiencies, and promote a culture of continuous improvement.
- Drive management initiatives across the technology organization, e.g hiring, career development, policies, budgets, etc.
- Lead engineering-wide guilds, projects, activities e.g Frontend or Backend guilds, hackathons etc.
- Collaborate and communicate with other teams (Product, Design, QA, Customer Ops, Marketing) on cross-functional initiatives.
- Lead successful development and delivery of team projects and operations.
- Partner with engineering leadership to help determine engineering-wide team strategy, tackle team-wide inefficiencies.
- Upholds Teachable values, including building and growing as part of a diverse team.
What We’re Looking For
- 5+ years of software engineering experience, with 2+ years of combined tech leadership and people management.
- Previously lead and/or managed a team of 3 or more engineers.
- Managed 1-2 teams with a track record of delivering high-quality products in scalable web applications.
- Proficient at project management; has a track record of making tradeoffs to deliver projects on time with high quality.
- Experience leading technical initiatives with impact across multiple teams or domains.
- Thrives in ambiguity and can make forward progress in situations when given minimal guidance.
- The relentless drive for continuous improvement and ownership with proven ability to instill in their teams.
- Experience mentoring individual contributors of different seniority levels and expertise (frontend/backend).
- Has effectively recruited, hired, and led diverse engineering teams.
Teachable is an instructor-focused platform that empowers creators to build and sell online courses and coaching on any topic-from iOS development to watercolor painting to card tricks. Instructors using our platform have collectively earned more than a billion dollars to date.
Since our founding, we’ve raised more than $12.5 million from top venture investors and were acquired in March of 2020. Teachable is now part of Hotmart Company, a global tech group focused on the Creator Economy, with over 1,300 employees in 8 countries (Netherlands, USA, Brazil, Spain, Mexico, Colombia, France and UK). Hotmart´s mission is to help creators make a living from their passions, using digital products to entertain, help and instruct their audiences.
Teachable is continuing to build a diverse team of top-notch talent. We won’t hold you back from reaching your full potential at Teachable; you’ll have the freedom to be an integral member of our tight-knit team, with great benefits and perks. Your work here will directly impact hundreds of thousands of online educators, entrepreneurs, and creatives.
Teachable operates under a hybrid work model, meaning we give our employees the flexibility to work from home or from one of our offices at their leisure (unless otherwise mentioned in a job description).
Comprehensive Health, Dental, & Vision benefits with options covering up to 100% of monthly premium
Generous Vacation, Personal, and Sick Time
Parental leave, 16 weeks fully paid after three months of service
4% 401(k) with match after three months of service
Supplemental student loan repayment assistance or a professional education stipend
Tax-free commuter benefit
50% gym & wellness match
$250 Donation Match Program
Teachable encourages individuals from a broad diversity of backgrounds to apply for positions. We are an equal opportunity employer, meaning we’re committed to a fair and consistent interview process. Please tell us in your application if you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.