Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
We are seeking an Engineering Manager to help support our Tax Benefits engineering team. Our Tax Benefits team delivers GetYourRefund and GetCTC, two services that help make sure that everyone can file taxes for free with ease and dignity. Our goal is to make sure every eligible American gets the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC), and we’ve helped over 200k people get over $750M in benefits to date.
About the Role
As Engineering Manager for Tax Benefits, you’ll manage a small team of engineers responsible for iterating and operating our Tax Benefits services end-to-end. Your primary focus will be supporting, coaching, and developing your team while helping to cultivate a happy, healthy, and high performing team culture. You’ll also have an opportunity to help shape the direction of the Tax Benefits program, as well as the direction of Code for America engineering as part of our engineering management team. We’re seeking an outcome-focused player-coach who is capable of stepping up and back and has the technical skills to guide a high performing engineering team and to do hands-on technical work when needed.
This position is full-time, based in our office in San Francisco or remote within the U.S.
In this position you will:
- Work with Tax Benefits engineers, product managers, designers, researchers, client success advocates, and program managers to deliver a service that helps millions of people access tax benefits.
- Recruit, coach, support, and develop engineers, maintaining our core values with each hire we make.
- Foster an inclusive and equitable working environment where everyone is supported to do their best work.
- Support the engineering team in maintaining a high level of quality, reliability, and stability.
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of our engineering management team.
- At least 7 years experience as a software engineer, engineering manager, or equivalent, including at least 1 year of people management responsibility.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills, able to work effectively cross functionally and facilitate hard decisions.
- Experience building and leading a diverse team and fostering an inclusive culture.
- Experience developing and managing web applications using agile software development practices.
- Strong technical skills, capable of supporting the team in assessing tradeoffs and making good product and technical decisions.
- Ability to lead by influence: coaching, mentoring, creating and reinforcing culture, and setting an example by your actions.
It’s a bonus if you:
- Have personal experience with the justice system, social safety net, workforce training, or other mission-relevant government services.
- Are familiar with and comfortable with pair programming and test driven development (We don’t pair all the time, but we find it really helpful in lots of contexts!)
- Have experience with Ruby on Rails.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes biannual 360 review process and $1,000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range from ($128,945 – $157,850).
Equal Employment Opportunity
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.