Quick Take: Axios is a company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We’re hiring a Reporter to bring their passion for the restaurant scene, nightlife, sports and seasonal travel to develop newsletter coverage aimed primarily at local audiences
Why it matters: The entertainment reporter is responsible for reporting and writing original stories to help readers navigate their downtime through Smart Brevity.
Go deeper: The reporter will be able to write about a range of entertainment topics with authority, from local music, arts, concerts, restaurants, bars, and sports. This individual will shape coverage into smart features about local entertainment for readers and curate from data sources about goings-on in local communities. This role will report into the Entertainment Editor.
The details: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and have the following skills:
- Passion for entertainment and deep knowledge of aspects of local culture, from music and arts to nightlife scene and top restaurants.
- At least 2 years reporting experience and passion for Smart Brevity
- Creative thinking and entrepreneurial mindset
- Highly organized and able to juggle multiple deadlines at once
- Collaborative with other reporters and strong communicator
- Ability to work quickly and collegially with the entertainment team and with other local and national reporters.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund,” which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Classpass discount
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.