Outschool’s mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We achieve this by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with other classmates who share their passions, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own paths. Our small group classes meet over live video chat with teachers who celebrate their unique strengths and empower all learners to develop confidence and a strong sense of self.
We’re also focused on removing barriers for historically underserved learners who face systemic challenges to their success. In 2020, we started Outschool.org and began offering financial assistance to families in need. We are currently creating an Educator Endowment Fund to appreciate the teachers who are so central to our mission of inspiring kids to love learning.
We believe that diversity drives learning. To meet our mission, we encourage, support, and celebrate different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds. As a fully distributed (remote) team, we challenge one another to find the most effective way to empower learners, teachers, and parents. Your name, race, religion, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and age are not barriers; they are why we want to work with you. We invite talented and creative candidates who value the importance of nurturing a child’s boundless curiosity to join us on this journey.
The pandemic has been challenging for families all over the globe. We acted quickly and worked together to provide quality resources to learners, parents, and teachers in the past year. As communities worldwide rethink their approach to education, Outschool will continue to innovate and provide kids with unique opportunities to explore their passions.
Earlier this year, Techcrunch recognized Outschool as the newest EdTech unicorn. We’ve also been named Fast Company’s most innovative EdTech company in the world, and one of the top ten best startups for women from Elpha.
We’re looking for Product Designers with extensive industry experience to shape the future of education. We are currently 7 designers and growing quickly, so you will have a major influence on how Design works at Outschool while having the support of existing processes and teammates. We are distributed across US and Canada, and we intentionally work in a way that allows us to feel connected without being “always on”. Our team is passionate about delivering experiences that inspire kids to love learning on a global scale, and we’re looking for designers who can help us raise the bar on what the world thinks of as a great learning experience.
At other companies, this role would be equivalent to a senior or lead position. At Outschool we have decided to take an unconventional approach to titling that aligns with our values and is focused on impact above status. You can learn more about our titling philosophy here.
- Create designs end-to-end, from initial concept, research, user flows, low-fidelity wireframes, high-fidelity UIs, to shipping and tracking results
- Thought-partner with Product Management, User Research, Data Analytics, Marketing, Engineering, and Community to build a deep understanding of user problems, and bring clarity to complex problems to deliver user impact and business results
- Explore complex problem spaces, generate simple but joyful design solutions, rapidly iterate, and evaluate tradeoffs in collaboration with cross-functional partners
- Share your knowledge and help the Design team and the entire company level up in user-centered design
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- 5+ years of product design experience
- Portfolio submission required – the team is looking for multiple case studies from your professional career that showcase how you nurtured a product over multiple releases and tracked its user and business impact over time
- T-shaped Designer with experience in visual/UI/UX/prototyping/research who is a strong advocate for the user
- Can clearly communicate decisions and uses stakeholder feedback to drive understanding and inspire action
- Strives for a balance between using data to inform decisions and making decisive calls using your expertise
- Has extensive experience designing responsive web products, ideally managing multiple products while shipping high-quality work without sacrificing speed
- Domain experience with marketplace products and/or K-12 education
- Experience working with kids
- Experience designing for native apps on multiple mobile platforms
- Experience working on high growth design teams
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and investment plans that make saving for retirement easier.
- Health & Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO & Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Fully Distributed: With a team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established charities and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to neurodiverse individuals, applicants with physical and mental disabilities, and disabled veterans. For individuals who would like to request an accommodation, you may reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or through your Recruiting point of contact as you schedule your initial interview.
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.