Outschool’s mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We achieve this by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with other classmates who share their passions, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own paths. Our small group classes meet over live video chat with teachers who celebrate their unique strengths and empower all learners to develop confidence and a strong sense of self.
We’re also focused on removing barriers for historically underserved learners who face systemic challenges to their success. In 2020, we started Outschool.org and began offering financial assistance to families in need. We are currently creating an Educator Endowment Fund to appreciate the teachers who are so central to our mission of inspiring kids to love learning.
We believe that diversity drives learning. To meet our mission, we encourage, support, and celebrate different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds. As a fully distributed (remote) team, we challenge one another to find the most effective way to empower learners, teachers, and parents. Your name, race, religion, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and age are not barriers; they are why we want to work with you. We invite talented and creative candidates who value the importance of nurturing a child’s boundless curiosity to join us on this journey.
The pandemic has been challenging for families all over the globe. We acted quickly and worked together to provide quality resources to learners, parents, and teachers in the past year. As communities worldwide rethink their approach to education, Outschool will continue to innovate and provide kids with unique opportunities to explore their passions.
Earlier this year, Techcrunch recognized Outschool as the newest EdTech unicorn. We’ve also been named Fast Company’s most innovative EdTech company in the world, and one of the top ten best startups for women from Elpha.
Our design team is looking to hire our first UX Writer, and we’re searching not just for a word-smith but for someone who loves to mull over how to bring intuitive experiences to life while staying true to Outschool’s brand and values. Who can enter the mind of our users to create instructions that can be easily understood by anyone from all different ages, perspectives, identities, and backgrounds. For someone that strives to be an advocate for users and enjoys the process of testing and re-testing their work to get it just right. Who is excited to build standards for UX writing at Outschool and develop best practices when communicating with kids, family members, educators, schools, or employers. Who can educate the team and the company on the whys and hows of UX writing.
Are you that special someone?
- Work with Design, Product, Marketing, and other teams, to create the words that guide Outschool’s product experiences
- Communicate complex product features and benefits in ways that speak up to our users and help them understand and use our products
- Create, maintain, and implement style guides and shared nomenclature across Outschool
- Shape (and scribe) user flows, interactions, messaging, and microcopy within product interfaces
- Write using best practices for inclusivity and accessibility to reach users worldwide
- Collaborate with researchers and apply user insights to inform strategic decisions and copy direction
- Create an operating model that allows you to scale your collaboration workflows across projects
- Coach and mentor teammates, and democratize your expertise into Outschool culture
- Champion the Outschool brand voice and style
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- 5+ years of experience working as a UX Writer, Content Strategist, or Content Designer, working directly with Design and Product
- A strong design-thinking mindset, familiarity with the product development process, and an understanding of where and how to jump in when needed
- A systems mind that considers not just copy, but the end-to-end user experience
- Experience working in education or products for kids
- Experience writing for an international audience
- Previous leadership experience
- Knowledge of accessibility best practices
- Strong storytelling and influence skills
- Portfolio pieces that demonstrates business impact
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and investment plans that make saving for retirement easier.
- Health & Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO & Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Fully Distributed: With a team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established charities and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to disabled veterans and applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.