At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 5 million people use our app, Providers, to manage the benefits they use to keep their family well-fed and healthy, stay up to date on critical government programs, save money and earn income. Read more about the impact of Providers (previously called Fresh EBT here, here, and here). Now we’ve expanded further into the financial services space, offering the best banking option for low-income Americans.
We’re looking for a thoughtful Fraud Manager to join our Risk Operations team, which maintains the safety and soundness of our customers and business. You’ll work on a range of key initiatives from creating fraud prevention strategies and policies to engaging with customers to protect their accounts. Success for this role means building scalable processes and procedures while protecting our customers.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Medicaid or other social safety net programs.
What we offer:
- You’ll be a major contributor to the business and culture even on day one
- Opportunity to immediately improve the financial lives of millions of Americans living with limited or uneven income
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Fort Greene, Brooklyn (or the option to work remotely!)
What you’ll do:
- Manage hiring, mentorship, and development for a team of fraud analysts
- Build a positive collaborative environment across multiple functions including Operations, Product, Design, and Compliance
- Define and lead team metrics and reporting
- Investigate losses incurred by debit card fraud, ATO, mobile device compromises, forgery, kiting, altered checks, and other fraudulent activity
- Analyze sophisticated customer problems and generate viable solutions, while de-escalating highly emotive customers
- Respond to customer complaints from the BBB, FDIC, or other regulatory agencies
- Ensure team compliance with REG E, REG Z, NACHA, FCRA, and other regulations
- Conduct high quality assessment of SAR/UAR reporting
What you have:
- 4+ years of experience conducting payment and fraud operations in financial services (preferably on a debit/prepaid product)
- 2+ years of managerial experience
- Deep analytical skills
- Knowledge and experience using tools such as SQL, Tableau, Looker, Python, Google Sheets, and the ability to break down and format large data sets
- Excellent communicator; able to translate knowledge to a non-technical audience