Code for America reached a voluntary recognition agreement with Code for America Workers United, affiliated with OPEIU (Office Professional Employees International Union, Local 1010), effective on October 22, 2021. We are currently engaged in negotiations towards our first collective bargaining agreement.
Code for America believes government can work for the people, by the people, in the digital age, and that government at all levels can and should work well for all people. For more than a decade, we’ve worked to show that with the mindful use of technology, we can break down barriers, meet community needs, and find real solutions.
Our employees and active community of volunteers build and transform government and community tools and services, making them so good they inspire change. We merge the best parts of technology, nonprofit, and government to help support the people who need it most. With a focus on diversity, equity, inclusion, and deep empathy for partners in government and community organizations and the people that our partners serve, we’re building a movement of motivated change agents driven by meaningful results and lasting impact. At Code for America, you contribute to exciting work while learning and developing in a supportive and flexible environment. Our compensation and benefits are holistic and thoughtfully curated to represent our employees and our mission. Help us drive real generational change that lasts.
Code for America is looking for a talented Group Product Manager who can own and set direction and strategy for a program or program area as well as manage more junior product management reports.
About the Role:
The Product team at Code for America is building a radically better future, starting today. We believe our products can create the conditions for generational, systemic change while also delivering immediate material value to communities. Product managers are embedded in program teams at Code for America where we work to shrink the criminal legal system, strengthen the social safety net, and promote economic justice through tax benefits. Our products help advance our programmatic missions through scalable software development, and our product discovery efforts continually look for better ways to use technology to effectively deliver government services. We develop and run products like GetCalFresh, GetYourRefund, and GetCTC, where we work to directly deliver services and benefits to those we serve while also working to enact broader systems change.
We’re a collaborative team with a sharp focus on client needs, driven by making a meaningful difference in the lives of the people we serve. We strive to reach people and communities who have been left out by leveraging our resources to create a more just and equitable world.
This role is based in San Francisco or remote in the U.S. This role reports to the Director of Product.
In this position you will:
- Own the product strategy and execution of a program or program area
- Directly manage and mentor product managers in your program area
- Work closely with the PM team and others to deliver products and services that execute your program area’s strategy and promotes systems change
- Partner with the Senior Program Director and senior program members to define the overall strategy for your program or program area
- Help lead a multi-disciplinary team of design, research, and engineering to test and develop new solutions that work for underserved communities and grow our overall client base
- Collaborate with designers on the creation of prototypes and models
- Communicate product vision and strategy to your team with clarity and enthusiasm
- Create and encourage a culture of initiative, flexibility and responsiveness, mobilizing the team to respond swiftly to changing priorities
- Drive a diverse and collaborative working culture which encourages openness, approachability and is supportive of challenge, however uncomfortable
- Collaborate with engineering leads to develop and evolve team processes that enable us to focus on the right things and execute efficiently
- Participate in research and interactions with users: understanding what we’re trying to learn and why and ensuring the right outcomes from research
- Contribute to the Product Management practice at Code for America
- 7+ years of product management experience.
- 3+ years of directly managing product manager.
- Proven ability to lead high quality product development using an agile methodology – iteratively improving products through delivery cycles.
- Proven ability to interpret and leverage user research, usability testing, and data analytics to make and validate product decisions.
- Strong product judgment – knowing when to prototype and when to code, when to experiment, and when to change direction.
- Have a handle on the day to day and an ability to forecast, plan, connect incremental short-term progress with a long-term vision.
- Strong communication skills and experience and comfort with internal and external stakeholders
- A passion for our mission of making government services better for people who need them.
What you’ll get:
- Full benefits package with 100% coverage towards select medical, dental and vision plans and contributes 80% of the cost towards dependent and family coverage
- 401k plan with matching funds
- A collaborative, hardworking and fun environment
- Leadership and teammates who value Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity
- Professional development includes bi annual 360 review process and $1000 annual budget
- A manager and org-wide structure that supports and enables professional development
- Compensation: Code for America’s salary bands are transparent internally as a part of our commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion. We are happy to extend this transparency during the recruitment process. As a part of our equitable hiring practices, we aim to target the midpoint of the 2nd quartile of the range for all new hires. The targets for this role are dependent on the market/geographic location. The targets for this role range from $128,945 to $157,850.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Code for America values a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ folks, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. Code for America is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of race, color, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, citizenship status, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any protected category prohibited by local, state or federal laws.