At Automattic, we believe in making the web a better place, and making our workplace a happy place. We hope you can join us on this journey!
We are the people behind WordPress.com, Tumblr, Jetpack, WooCommerce, and more. We are looking for a data scientist to join our Marketing team to help us drive growth with data, insights, and technical solutions. You will be a member of the Marketing team, and will work closely with our central Data team to improve our data analysis tools and deliverable actionable insights.
- Own all aspects of data for a function or line of business, to empower Automatticians with data for optimal decision making.
- Build vertical specific funnels, data pipelines or dashboards.
- Validate tracking, enforce metrics consistency, design & analyze experiments.
- Run exploratory analysis and post-launch analysis to identify product/ marketing opportunities and accelerate product iteration.
- Run predictive modeling for things like targeting or personalization.
- Are a strong proactive communicator and writer, and comfortable with setting and managing your own priorities.
- Have excellent quantitative skills and are very comfortable with data, statistical modeling, and analysis.
- Are curious, have phenomenal attention to detail, and possess proven problem-solving skills.
- Are a cross-team collaborator, able to effectively work with teams across multiple departments, time zones, and functions. You can discover and tell the story behind the data.
- Have experience working with a global subscription-based product. Using your discernment, you can translate business problems into analytical questions and use data from various sources to find answers.
- Have prior hands-on experience with data, proficiency in SQL.
- Have programming experiences with Python, R or PHP, and are familiar with some data tools (Hive, Impala, Airflow).
- You have previous experience working with Marketing teams and leveraging data to drive business growth.
We’re a distributed company with more than 1100 Automatticians in 65+ countries speaking 75+ different languages. Our common goal is to democratize publishing so that anyone with a story can tell it, regardless of income, gender, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
We believe in Open Source and the vast majority of our work is available under the GPL.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, & INCLUSION AT AUTOMATTIC
We’re improving diversity, equity, and inclusion in the tech industry. At Automattic, we want people to love their work and show respect and empathy to all. We welcome differences and strive to increase participation from traditionally underrepresented groups. Our DEI committee involves Automatticians across the company and drives grassroots change. For example, this group has helped facilitate private online spaces for affiliated Automatticians to gather and helps run a monthly DEI People Lab series for further learning. Diversity, Equity and Inclusion is a priority at Automattic, though our dedication influences far more than just Automatticians: We make our products freely available and translate our products into and offer customer support in numerous languages. We require unconscious bias training for our hiring teams and ensure our products are accessible across different bandwidths and devices. Read more about our dedication to diversity, equity, and inclusion and our Employee Resource Groups.
How to Apply
Does this sound interesting? If yes, fill out our application form. In your cover letter, let us know what you can contribute to the team. Proofread! Make sure you spell and capitalize WordPress and Automattic correctly. We are lucky to receive many applications for this position, so try to make your application stand out.
Please include answers to these questions in your cover letter:
- If our goal is to provide a great user experience for bloggers and site owners on WordPress.com, what metric(s) would you use to measure our progress towards that?
- Pick the most important metric as an example, what do you consider as the biggest opportunities to drive it in the positive direction?
- What technical analysis are you most proud of from your past experience, and why?
If you’re reading this on a site other than automattic.com please ensure you visit automattic.com/work-with-us for the latest details on applying.