Truss is tackling tough technical problems for the private sector and government (primarily federal, but also state and local). We implement and advocate modern development practices to build software and streamline infrastructure. As a Truss engineer you will facilitate bringing our values to our clients and help drive toward understanding what their end users truly need.
We are seeking empathetic, driven, curious, and quick-learning engineers to join our team. A position with Truss will allow you to develop a rich skill-set working in an energetic yet balanced environment with a cross-functional team of curious, helpful people.
Here’s what we hope you’ll bring:
- Great communication! Including thoughtful listening skills, the ability to express complex ideas clearly and succinctly, and the ability to communicate well in writing.
- An adaptive, empathetic, collaborative and positive mindset.
- Excitement to experiment with new technologies and best practices.
- Excitement to mentor and teach others how to maintain software projects.
- The ability to think holistically about software delivery and engineering issues.
- Have worked on one or more production ready systems.
We recognize that Infrastructure engineering is a breadth discipline and we would like you to have experiences in 3-4 of the following:
- Agile delivery practices.
- Human centered design research practices.
- Automation of testing, deployments, or other repeatable tasks.
- Managing infrastructure in AWS (or Azure, GCP) using configuration management tools.
- Configuring and managing CI pipelines in code deployment platforms (such as CircleCI or TravisCI or Jenkins or GitHub Actions).
- Software delivery workflows (such as: trunk based development).
- Configuring and managing alerts in monitoring and alerting technologies and methodologies.
- Building and distributing container images and container orchestration.
- Building serverless functions, basic web applications, apis, or database management.
- Familiarity with the NIST SP 800-53 and Federal ATO (Authorization to Operate) requirements.
- Documenting security configurations and responding to customer feedback in an effort to meet compliance requirements.
- Researching and evaluating software or hardware solutions against the operating environment and providing recommendations to management.
- Conducting vulnerability scans or penetration tests against networks or systems.
- Working with government agencies on their systems or products for them.
In this position you will:
- Actively share your knowledge and experiences with teammates through pairing or demos or talks.
- Begin to mentor L1-L3 InfraSec engineers through active pairing and project design.
- Actively write new documentation and continually improve existing documentation.
- Plan complex projects and define smaller pieces of collaborative work for your team.
- Work cross-functionally on project teams to form and drive technical decisions to completion.
- Represent our practice and automation on projects.
- Build and maintain infrastructure as code to automate the configuration, provisioning, deployment, and monitoring of core systems.
- Build reliable, repeatable, and secure production infrastructure.
- Maintain production systems and investigate issues when they occur.
- Think holistically about engineering issues, using engineering fundamentals.
- Share experiences and collaborate with other seasoned infrastructure and security engineers to expand the InfraSec practice skill set.
- Learn to set up a technical project/product for adoption on other teams and projects.
- Contribute to our open sourced Terraform Modules and tools.
- Collaborate with our clients and partners to invent, implement, and deploy new systems and improvements to existing systems.
The salary range for this position is $137,000 – $166,500.
You must be eligible to work in the US. Unfortunately, we are unable to sponsor work visas at this time.
** A note from Truss: We know you’re likely experiencing a lot of disruption as our nation (and our world) responds to COVID-19 and other events – we’re experiencing it, too. During video interviews, you’ll likely see more of our human side. Family members, partners, kids and pets are home with some of us! We promise to be present and engaged, but we may be a little…harried. It’s OK if you are, too – we understand that everyone is experiencing extra stress right now. If you have any questions along the way, please let us know, and stay healthy and safe. **