RStudio creates great software that helps people understand data and make better decisions in real-world applications. Our core offering is an open source data science toolchain, and we aim to make it available to everyone, regardless of their economic means.
We are looking for an IT Architect to help manage and redesign the foundational information technology resources across the organization. Coming from the outside of RStudio, you need to establish trust with the stakeholders through personal influence and credibility. You should be able to clarify expectations and goals, oversee the success of those goals, and communicate a compelling picture that is consistent for everyone involved.
RStudio is committed to being a 100% distributed company and our IT operations do not follow a typical design. We operate a primarily SaaS-based infrastructure which requires creativity and a pragmatic approach to system design and integrations. You need to possess wide technical, business, and industry knowledge that will allow us to develop technical solutions while taking into consideration existing requirements. We are redesigning the systems infrastructure to support the needs of RStudio as it is today, and what it will be in the future. We need someone who wants to roll up their sleeves and be a part of that. The ability to see the big picture and focus on long term goals is essential.
What you’ll be doing:
- Envision or evaluate new technology and lead the move towards it. Act as liaison between other solution stakeholders and become the solution advocate when needed.
- Architect, test, and support services, integrations, and automations among key IT systems, most of which are SaaS based.
- Focus on the big picture needs of the organization. Question assumptions and drive change to mitigate potential risks. While other roles may be involved in this, you will typically have the best vantage point.
- Act as a complexity manager. You will be dealing with “Systems of Systems” scenarios and need to be concerned not just with how the solution will operate in its own context, but how it will function in the context of the larger ecosystem.
- Consult with other departments internally to advise on best practice strategies for using and integrating with IT systems and processes.
- Manage, document, and standardize the operations of existing systems. Be a key resource in determining when a solution needs to be dropped and be impartial when making such decisions.
- Provide vendor integration project planning with clear goals for all areas and develop steps to oversee their timely execution, including detailed specifications for proposed solutions, human effort, and time necessary. Ensure that the technical components of the project are in sync with the business needs of the organization.
- Take a hands-on approach to technical implementations, be proactive about challenges or constraints, and manage them accordingly. Ensure security is up to standard at all times.
- You thrive on solving problems through investigation and deductive reasoning, and aren’t afraid to ask for help. You are internally driven by curiosity and continuous learning.
- You invest in strong relationships with your colleagues and employ empathy when working through their technical issues. You have the ability to communicate with people on all levels, and help make complex issues easier to understand.
- You are self-driven, demonstrate initiative, and maintain a high degree of professional conduct at all times. You are highly ethical, possess excellent decision-making capabilities, and execute good time management skills.
- You have a high degree of technical working knowledge and experience with a wide array of SaaS vendors spanning multiple areas of business services. You consider yourself an IT generalist and do not focus your specialization on any one area.
- You have demonstrated plan development and leadership skills, with experience in functional project management. You possess excellent documentation skills and the ability to scope and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- You have the “soft skills” necessary to get sustained buy-in and cooperation from stakeholders to achieve best outcomes. These skills include presentation, communication, facilitation, and so on.
- RStudio is a Public Benefit Corporation (PBC) and a Certified B Corporation®, which means that our open-source mission is codified into our charter, and that our corporate decisions balance the interests of the community, customers, employees, and shareholders.
- We welcome all talented colleagues and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving ourselves “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- 100% distributed team with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including: medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k matching
- a home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- a profit-sharing program
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.