Stack Overflow is growing fast, and our technology needs just keep getting bigger. We’re looking for an IT Manager to join our existing team and help us grow our internal systems and infrastructure. As an IT Manager, you’ll bring a DevOps mindset to system administration, always looking for ways to automate manual work and create repeatable, scalable systems and processes.
We’re looking for someone with experience in growing a technical team and providing experienced technical leadership, but we don’t expect you to know every other part of our stack coming in, so we’ll pair you with other members of the team to learn and develop your skills across our entire infrastructure (including our non-cloud infrastructure). We expect this role to be adept at solving problems on both client machines and servers, creating budgets, looking out for new technologies that could help the company.
You’re an established IT leader who serves as a mentor and player-coach to high-performing operations teams. You know your stuff when it comes to corporate security and compliance, and you find creative ways to implement best practices in those areas. And what you don’t know, you’re willing to figure out with your peers. You are process-oriented and rigorous in following up on your plans and commitments. Above all, you value servant leadership and you are driven to support the needs of every employee who walks through Stack Overflow’s hallways (virtual or otherwise), no matter their role, personal background, or technical experience level. You enable every Stack employee to support the diverse developer community we are nurturing.
What you’ll do:
- Develop and manage the IT team in order to ensure that the employees of Stack Overflow have the technology and tools they need to do their jobs
- Improve our automated deployment of employee hardware to be a hands-free process
- Work to improve security and usability of IT systems and hardware
- Stay current with network and end user technologies and deliver updates to management teams regularly
- Automate employee onboarding so that new employees have a great first day
- Document our ever-evolving systems and procedures
- Play a key role in the company’s incident response team
- Work on IT projects from research to implementation
- Ensure that employees are supported with the hardware, software, and AV capabilities they need, no matter where they work
- Collaborate with the Information Security, Internal Development, and SRE departments to implement best practices for keeping Stack Overflow employees’, users’, and customers’ data secure
- Create and track KPIs, metrics, and goals for the IT team
- Manage the IT budget and balance business needs with our employees’ technical and workplace-related needs
- Care for, develop, and grow your team, ensuring that each member has a development path that ensures they are learning and developing in their current role and into their next
What we’re looking for:
- Servant leadership mindset – one that models humility and empathy through action
- Experience with multiple hardware and software platforms
- 5+ years’ experience directly managing high-performing IT support or operations teams, or commensurate experience
- Ability to work with remote employees across many time zones
- Experience with both security and compliance (ISO 27001/SOC2 a plus)
Also note: If this job interests you but you aren’t certain if you meet all of the requirements, apply anyway!
Our ecosystem includes:
- Google Suite
- Azure Cloud Platform
- Microsoft Intune
- Cisco and Meraki
- Windows and Linux servers
- Mac and PC laptops
- Git and GitHub Enterprise
What you’ll get in return:
- 20 days paid vacation + holidays
- Completely free health insurance – no copay, no premiums (US residents)
- Generous parental leave (12-16 weeks at 100% pay), family care leave, and unlimited sick days
- A budget for continuing education and personal development
How to apply: Please include an up-to-date resume, and a cover letter explaining why you’re interested in working at Stack Overflow.
About Stack Overflow
Stack Overflow is the largest, most trusted online community for developers to learn, share their knowledge, and build their careers. More than 50 million professional and aspiring programmers visit Stack Overflow each month to help solve coding problems, develop new skills, and find job opportunities.
We partner with businesses to help them understand, hire, engage, and enable the world’s developers. Our products and services are focused on developer marketing, technical recruiting, market research, and enterprise knowledge sharing.
We believe in hiring smart people and getting out of their way. We have an office in New York with some of the best amenities of any New York startup, and we have people who work remotely all over the world. We keep meetings and ceremonies to an absolute minimum.
Employment is conditioned upon successful completion of a background check and upon having the appropriate legal right to work.
Diverse teams build better products.
Legally, we need you to know this:
Stack Overflow does not discriminate in employment matters on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, military service eligibility, veteran status, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, or any other protected class. We support workplace diversity.
But we want to add this:
We strongly believe that diversity of experience contributes to a broader collective perspective that will consistently lead to a better company and better products. We are working hard to increase the diversity of our team wherever we can and we actively encourage everyone to consider becoming a part of it.