What you’ll do:
- Manage Hala’s accounts payables process – create and track payment requests, track due dates, prepare aging reports, reconcile statements, and ensure timely payments.
- Liaise with Compliance and Program Operations teams to make sure that Hala possesses necessary information and approvals needed to execute payments in compliance with donor rules and regulations.
- Oversee petty cash processes, collecting appropriate documentation in accordance with Hala’s internal policies and procedures and supporting specific departmental needs.
- Review submitted expense reports, ensuring compliance with Hala’s expense reimbursement and procurement policies; clarify with submitters any questions that may arise.
- Liaise with the People Ops team and external payroll accountants to execute payroll payments for Hala’s US and Portugese entities.
- Comply with regulatory reporting requirements to Social Security and other Labor Authorities. Prepare and request payroll and tax payments in an accurate and timely manner.
- Research and propose potential tax benefits promoted by the Portuguese and EU Governments.
- Manage Hala’s accounts receivable process: issue invoices, manage due dates and receipts, prepare aging reports, and ensure timely collection of receivables.
- Assist in facilitation of accounting cycle to include preparation of appropriate supporting documentation for journal entries, payroll, payment requests, and bank reconciliations.
- Support preparation and recording of accounting transactions and journal entries in QuickBooks and/or other financial management systems in an accurate and timely manner.
- Prepare and organize journal vouchers for accounting transactions ensuring strict adherence to Hala policies and procedures and sponsor rules and regulations.
- Organize and maintain financial physical and digital files (receipts, disbursements, invoices, financial reports, etc.) in accordance with Hala policies and filing standards.
- Provide clerical and administrative support to management as requested, including but not limited to purchasing, financial and program audit requests, sponsor financial reporting requests, data analysis, and others.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned and provide support to Hala’s Finance and Accounting Team as needed.
Who you are:
- You pay attention to details and are organized, accurate, and productive.
- You are a curious learner who can adapt quickly and is comfortable dealing with ambiguity.
- You are a problem-solver who will continually look for ways to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of our processes.
- You are motivated and driven; you volunteer for new challenges without waiting to be asked.
- You anticipate the needs of stakeholders and ask the right questions at the right time.
- You can assess and prioritize where best to spend time and energy.
What you have:
- A university degree in Business Administration or related field, and 1-2 years professional experience in accounts payable, payroll, and bookkeeping; or, 4 years professional experience in accounts payable, payroll, and bookkeeping.
- Experience with relevant software tools, including but not limited to accounts payable, payroll, and accounting packages such as Quickbooks.
- Demonstrated proficiency working with Google and MS Office programs, particularly Google Sheets and Excel.
- Understanding of domestic and international bank transactions.
- Good knowledge of PT Tax and Labor Law.
- Professional working fluency in written and spoken English and Portuguese.
- Prior experience or a desire to work cross-culturally, cross-functionally and collaboratively with remote and distributed teams.