The Wikimedia Foundation is looking for a Junior Business Analyst to join our team, reporting to the Senior Manager with day to day guidance and oversight by the Lead Business Analyst. As the Junior Business Analyst, you will be responsible for supporting and contributing to a range of business operations initiatives and projects of varying scope and complexity.
You will be part of the Continuous Process Improvement team within the Finance & Administration department that focuses on continuous process improvement and leveraging technology solutions that drive automation and collaboration, and enable our processes and people to deliver excellent services. A significant amount of the work undertaken by this team is project based and will be supported by project teams. The business analysis support of these projects is significant, and you will have the opportunity to build your skills and analytical capabilities under the guidance of the Lead Business Analyst. This role will be for a 1 year contract. Candidates must be willing to work within timezones UTC-8 to UTC-4.
You are responsible for:
Triage + Support for business operations requests
- Using the established protocol and process to triage incoming business operations requests.
- Resolving small issues such as delegations, minor user record adjustments, creating canned responses.
- Maintaining the Zendesk analytics spreadsheet + providing analysis on a regular basis.
- Maintaining the Zendesk Knowledge Library.
- Providing input on opportunities to optimize support process and reporting.
- Providing support and analysis on intake and prioritization of initiatives and opportunities for process improvement.
- Creating initial rough drafts of a process flow and other diagrams.
- Contributing to or helping to clean-up rough drafts of process flow or other diagrams in collaboration with the Lead Business Analyst.
- Conducting elicitations to get preliminary or additional details for process flow or other diagrams.
Research and documentation
- All projects will require research and documenting findings.
- Support building a library of materials, templates, and tools for the department to be able to provide analysis, advice and troubleshooting.
Knowledge Development and Critical Analysis
- Develop knowledge of business operations.
- Develop and apply critical thinking and analytical capacity to unique business problems.
- Contribute to identifying gaps and optimizing processes throughout the department and organization.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s + 2 years related experience, Master’s, or equivalent work experience in business process analysis, business analysis, and/or change management.
- Proven track record of analyzing processes and driving execution of improvements.
- Diverse experience and an understanding of business analysis practices to resolve new challenges in effective and creative ways.
- Finance Analyst or Finance business intelligence and reporting experience a plus.
Qualities that are important to us:
- You enjoy collaborating with a range of stakeholders, and you value knowledge sharing, and collaboration.
- You can communicate complex technical concepts in simple ways, tailored to each audience, to ensure everyone can engage, contribute and successfully adopt new tools and systems.
- You love solving problems, and understand the connections between micro decisions and the macro systems.
- You love using data and metrics to measure performance and to tell a story.
- You believe in the mission of the Foundation and are excited to refine tools, systems, ways of working to support that mission.
- You are comfortable with ambiguity and are able to adapt to a rapidly changing business environment.
- You thrive in a results oriented culture that favors collaborative decision making.
- You are a proactive problem solver and a self-starting individual.
- You are a flexible and creative individual capable of managing multiple priorities and projects in a diverse environment.
Additionally, we’d love it if you have:
- Functional knowledge of process improvement methodologies.
- Understanding of the free culture, free software, or online rights movements.
- Hands-on experience with Zendesk, Asana, and browser-based diagramming tools like Lucidchart.
- Comfortable using Google Sheets or similar spreadsheet tools to manipulate data, create charts, and gather insights.
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the nonprofit organization that operates Wikipedia and the other Wikimedia free knowledge projects. Our vision is a world in which every single human can freely share in the sum of all knowledge. We believe that everyone has the potential to contribute something to our shared knowledge, and that everyone should be able to access that knowledge freely. We host Wikipedia and the Wikimedia projects, build software experiences for reading, contributing, and sharing Wikimedia content, support the volunteer communities and partners who make Wikimedia possible, and advocate for policies that enable Wikimedia and free knowledge to thrive.
The Wikimedia Foundation is a charitable, not-for-profit organization that relies on donations. We receive donations from millions of individuals around the world, with an average donation of about $15. We also receive donations through institutional grants and gifts. The Wikimedia Foundation is a United States 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization with offices in San Francisco, California, USA.
As an equal opportunity employer, the Wikimedia Foundation values having a diverse workforce and continuously strives to maintain an inclusive and equitable workplace. We encourage people with a diverse range of backgrounds to apply. We do not discriminate against any person based upon their race, traits historically associated with race, religion, color, national origin, sex, pregnancy or related medical conditions, parental status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristics.
If you are a qualified applicant requiring assistance or an accommodation to complete any step of the application process due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.