Outschool’s mission is to inspire kids to love learning. We achieve this by linking learning to kids’ interests, connecting them with other classmates who share their passions, and giving them the autonomy to pick their own paths. Our small group classes meet over live video chat with teachers who celebrate their unique strengths and empower all learners to develop confidence and a strong sense of self.
We’re also focused on removing barriers for historically underserved learners who face systemic challenges to their success. In 2020, we started Outschool.org and began offering financial assistance to families in need. We are currently creating an Educator Endowment Fund to appreciate the teachers who are so central to our mission of inspiring kids to love learning.
We believe that diversity drives learning. To meet our mission, we encourage, support, and celebrate different ideas, perspectives, and backgrounds. As a fully distributed (remote) team, we challenge one another to find the most effective way to empower learners, teachers, and parents. Your name, race, religion, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and age are not barriers; they are why we want to work with you. We invite talented and creative candidates who value the importance of nurturing a child’s boundless curiosity to join us on this journey.
The pandemic has been challenging for families all over the globe. We acted quickly and worked together to provide quality resources to learners, parents, and teachers in the past year. As communities worldwide rethink their approach to education, Outschool will continue to innovate and provide kids with unique opportunities to explore their passions.
Earlier this year, Techcrunch recognized Outschool as the newest EdTech unicorn. We’ve also been named Fast Company’s most innovative EdTech company in the world, and one of the top ten best startups for women from Elpha.
Outschool is looking for an experienced and strategic Lead Privacy Counsel to join our team and guide us through the next stages of our business growth. We’re looking for someone who is a self-starter who can identify and tackle priority tasks, actively identify opportunities for process improvement, and work in a fast-paced environment that challenges conventional wisdom while maintaining the highest standards for legal and ethical compliance.
Ideally, we would like to find someone who has extensive knowledge and practitioner experience with risk management programs in the education technology space, is fluent in data privacy, data architecture, information management and cyber security, and possesses the business acumen necessary to champion an interdisciplinary approach that empowers our business for success. Further, the candidate has built global privacy compliance programs and previously worked in technology services focused on minors. Lastly, we are looking for a high-level operator with the ability to manage complex projects seamlessly and effectively, who is excited to be hands-on and embrace challenges to drive desired outcomes.
This role would be called a Director, Privacy in other companies, but at Outschool we have decided to take an unconventional approach to titling that aligns with our values and focuses on impact above status. You can learn more about our titling philosophy here.
- Partner closely with Engineering, Product, Design, Trust & Safety, Sales and other cross-functional teams to assess potential data, privacy and security risks, regulatory controls, and governance for Outschool’s digital marketplace platform
- Design, build, and scale a strategic and comprehensive US and international privacy program that defines, develops, maintains, and implements policies and processes that enable consistent, effective privacy practices which minimize risk and ensures the confidentiality of personal data, including data of minors
- Lead buildout of scalable, privacy operations platforms and solutions, notably those that automate and address privacy rights of access and control
- Conduct related ongoing compliance monitoring activities in coordination with the company’s other compliance and operational assessment functions
- Ensure Outschool has and maintains appropriate privacy and confidentiality consents, authorizations, information notices, and materials reflecting current organizational and legal practices and requirements
- Create, deliver, and oversee Outschool’s initial and ongoing privacy trainings
- Initiate, facilitate, and promote activities to foster information privacy awareness within the organization
- Work closely with the Product team to weave privacy-by-design into the product and user experience
- Partner with the Government Relations team and participate in industry forums to help craft relevant privacy, data and digital policies, regulations and best practices
DESIRED EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
- Juris Doctorate degree and an active member in good standing of at least one state bar
- Minimum 10+ years of relevant privacy experience (with at least 4+ of those years in-house preferred)
- Experience advising on privacy legal risks and mitigations, with working knowledge of relevant privacy laws, specifically GDPR, CCPA, COPPA, FERPA
- Proven track record of developing and advancing large, sophisticated projects that require cross-functional partnership
- Comfortable operating in a fast-paced, rapidly-evolving workplace
- Ability to think quickly on your feet, convey grace under pressure, and simultaneously manage complex workloads, multiple client demands, and shifting priorities
- Strategic problem solver
- Excellent legal and business judgment including demonstrated experience assessing information for risk mitigation opportunities
- Experience working with off-the-shelf data privacy vendor systems
- Shared Financial Success: Competitive salaries, stock options, and investment plans that make saving for retirement easier.
- Health & Wellness: Comprehensive health, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance coverage options for employees and their families. Our medical benefits include fertility and family planning coverage. We also provide employees with online access to coaching and therapy sessions through our partner, ModernHealth.
- PTO & Family Benefits: PTO and family leave enable our team to take the time that we need to recharge, relax, and spend time with family and friends.
- Fully Distributed: With a team distributed across the US and Canada, we create a remote culture through expensable weekly meals, virtual events, expensable home office setup, and internet allowance.
- Lifelong Learners: Annual budgets to self-direct our professional development as well as DEI learning. There’s also a budget for employees’ learners to take classes on Outschool!
- Community Impact: Outschool matches employee donations to established charities and has committed to donating $3M to Outschool.org non-profit programs.
Outschool is an equal opportunity employer. We view diversity as a moral imperative and competitive advantage. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We plan and structure our interviews to directly assess skills and experience.
Outschool is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to disabled veterans and applicants with physical and mental disabilities. If you need assistance due to a disability, you may contact us at email@example.com.
Must be a citizen or legal resident of the U.S. or Canada and reside in U.S. or Canada.