Lead UX Designer
We believe that Small Businesses are stronger together.
Alignable is North America’s largest small business network, with over 6 million businesses in 30,000+ communities. Small businesses give our communities character – generating local jobs and supporting local causes. Their owners are creators, risk-takers, and, always, problem-solvers. In today’s changing times, they’re under-resourced, yet undeterred. We want to empower and give back to these small business owners.
Our mission is to support their ongoing success by providing recommended resources, highly-rated tools, and an engaged, supportive peer network – it’s a difference our members experience every day. Whether it’s hearing from a fellow business owner who’s overcome a similar problem, reading a credible opinion on a vendor, or sourcing great ideas to grow sales, Alignable members can count on each other for empathetic, pragmatic advice.
We’re looking for people who are passionate about our mission.
Connecting our Members with their peers is only possible if our platform is meticulously crafted with the small business owner in mind. Alignable is looking for a Lead UX Designer to join our growing team who shares our passion, and will contribute to the continuous growth and improvement of our digital platform experience for small business owners – adding value and encouraging engagement, while championing simplicity and ease of use.
User Experience at Alignable is a key focus area with opportunity for the right candidate to contribute to the largest and fastest growing small business referral network – at a time of significant growth. In addition to the core UX skills and experience required, Alignable presents some unique opportunities and challenges that make this role unusually interesting and creatively challenging.
Core UX Skills (supported by a comprehensive portfolio of UX design work):
- User research – gathering, conducting, interpreting
- Requirements gathering – capturing and synthesizing business and user requirements, and mapping them to technology realities
- Persona development and user journey mapping
- Wireframe prototyping
- User testing – planning, conducting, interpreting
Collaborative UX Skills:
- Ability to work seamlessly and effectively across disciplines, with partners in Data Science, Analytics, Product Management, UX & UI Design, Engineering and Marketing
- Comfort speaking with Alignable Members on a regular basis to understand their needs, wants and challenges as small business owners – and as users of the Alignable platform
- Comfortable with very fast-moving projects and initiatives that are conceived, explored, designed, prototyped, iterated, tested and launched in constant (often overlapping) cycles
- Comfortable communicating remotely with teammates in UX, partner disciplines and executive leadership – facilitating UX brainstorming workshops, making UX presentations, collaborating on key initiatives and documentation
Unique requirements of the UX role at Alignable:
- Interest and ability to empathize and connect with small business owners – especially in the current pandemic climate
- Ability to quickly context-switch as both strategic and tactical UX initiatives demand
- Understanding of, and ability to immerse in social networking user experiences
- Comfort with, and willingness to learn about the complex data and analytics that underpin social networking – and which drive what content is presented to each user whenever they visit – based on industry segmentation, demographics, previous behaviors and desired behaviors.
- Ability to work as a UX design partner for multiple product teams, with multiple overlapping projects at once – smoothly and seamlessly
- Ability to zoom-in / zoom-out constantly – with experience creating both micro and macro UX solutions at the same time – while making sure the dots connect between them
- Ability to create beautifully simple experiences for a less-than-tech-savvy target audience