Leap’s mission is to combat climate change by enabling a reliable electric grid that runs on clean energy. The electric grid is transforming from dirty (but predictable) fossil fuels to clean (but less predictable) renewable energy. To do so, the grid needs more flexible demand and supply to help maintain stability and reliability.
Leap plays a crucial role in opening up wholesale energy markets to all distributed energy resources, enabling our partners to get paid for providing flexibility to the grid.
Leap is a privately-held tech company with funding from top VCs and well-known energy entrepreneurs. Our core operations are in the San Francisco Bay Area and Utrecht (NL), but we are a distributed workplace with teammates based in Atlanta, Boston, Boulder, Chicago, Maui, and Washington, DC.
Leap’s mission is to combat climate change by enabling a reliable electric grid that runs on clean energy. We play a crucial role in opening up wholesale energy markets to all distributed energy resources, enabling our partners to get paid for providing flexibility to the grid.
At Leap, we believe in cross-functional collaboration, creative thinking to solve complex problems, and job enrichment. We are a mission-driven organization. Not only will your impact be felt within the day-to-day operations; together, we have the ability to make the world more sustainable and greener.
The electrical market is complex and our partners rely on vast amounts of data to make time-sensitive decisions. We are looking for an experienced UX Designer with a passion for distilling this complex logic and data into a simple experience. The ideal candidate would have experience with both user research-focused design, as well as more classical graphic design for branding and external communications.
We are a distributed team based across North America and Western Europe. This is a fully remote position, and we are looking specifically for someone who can work during business hours within the Eastern time zone.
Who are we looking for?
The Lead UI/UX Designer is responsible for creating a consistent digital experience across products and solutions.
Here is what we hope you will bring:
- Unique skill for designing platforms that are simple and approachable to new users, yet powerful and configurable for advanced users.
- Clear and effective collaboration practices with Product and Engineering teams to ensure delivery of the best possible User Experience.
- Advanced proficiency with at least one of the well-known, modern design tools (Sketch, Figma). Experience conducting user research and deeply understanding complex user needs.
- Experience integrating design into agile software development methodologies.
- The ability to prioritize competing deadlines and tasks to manage deadlines and time effectively.
- The ability to design products that draw insights from large amounts of data.
- Excitement to contribute your design skills to the future of energy/cleantech.
In this role you will:
- Create a design system that can be implemented across all product interfaces
- Implement your own data-driven design process which others can easily follow. Collaborate with Product Managers, Engineers, Data Scientists, and other distributed teams on different projects. Articulate design decisions and communicate them to necessary stakeholders
- Take ownership and maintain existing design assets, with the goal of establishing an omni channel design system
- Focus on human-centered design, the needs of the user, with a strong emphasis on customer research
Bonus points if you
- Have previous experience in the energy, utilities, or financial sectors
- Have a portfolio containing designs for SaaS B2B platform and/or marketplace products
- Prefer designing for a highly technical user base
- Enjoy designing products to draw insights from large amounts of data
- Are comfortable working with distributed teams or in a remote environment
- Can easily switch between high level thinking and tactical execution
- Are enthusiastic about contributing your design skills to the future of energy/clean tech
- Are ready to take a leadership role
If you have more experience than is reflected here, that’s great! We’ll be pleased to exercise your broader/deeper skill set. We value inclusion and welcome diverse viewpoints.
What’s it like to work at Leap?
Product: At our core we are a tech company. We love technical challenges and build things that we are proud of and would like to use ourselves. Everyone is highly involved in building and designing our products, making them extremely valuable and a pleasure to use.
Purpose: Some of us worked in energy before, some of us haven’t. All of us would like to make a difference and do our part in helping the world move towards a more resilient grid run on renewable energy.
Fun: We work hard, but enjoy our time at work as well as outside of work. With the team spread out over multiple time zones we also embraced flexibility early on, and are focused on results instead of time spent in the office.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.