Welcome to Solid State Studios. We’re a new in-house studio within Activision, dedicated to developing the best AAA mobile games in the world. Our first project is Call of Duty: Warzone for Mobile, and we’re looking for great talent, passionate about their work, who share our belief in what AAA experiences on mobile can and should be. We’re incredibly excited to build out our teams and get to work, and invite you to join us in making something special!
Solid State Studios is currently seeking an experienced Lead Weapons Artist for the studio that will have both project and studio responsibilities. Your mission is to inspire, mentor, and lead a team of high-caliber artists who create authentic characters that will be enjoyed by millions of gamers across the globe. Our Lead Artists are role-models that not only manage the team through challenge and change, but they also build up individuals into highly engaged, efficient, and effective teammates. Above all, we are looking for an innovative and dedicated leader to help tell our story.
- Work closely with the Art Director and the Viewmodel team to deliver industry leading assets
- Create visually appealing, realistic 3D designs of firearms drawing from real world inspiration.
- Research subject matter relating to objectives to ensure an authentic experience.
- Troubleshoot technical and artistic issues.
- Communicate effectively with team members, production and management to ensure that project goals are met.
- Take creative ownership on blueprint and skin creation.
- Contribute to high quality look development with the goal of setting the bar.
- Able to prioritize and delegate tasks to junior members of the art team.
- Help train and mentor more junior artists.
- Experience working with External Partners.
- Be a proactive self-starter that can independently implement high-level direction.
- Provide your team with consistent guidance, opportunities, and resources.
- Lead, task, mentor and conduct one-to-one meetings with your Character Artists as well External teams.
- Empower artists to thrive on open and welcome constructive criticism.
- Champion standard methodologies and advocate towards streamlining tools and processes.
- Collaborate with other teams to ensure art requirements and plans are understood.
- Contribute creative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development.
- 6+ total years in the games industry working in an art capacity, with at least 3 shipped titles in the AAA console / PC / Mobile space.
- 2+ years and at least 1 shipped title as a Lead Weapons Artist.
- Ability to lead by example echoed through a professional and egoless personality.
- Strong understanding of creating weapon art assets in multiple major 3D and 2D packages (3DS Max or Maya and Photoshop or Substance).
- Excellent understanding of Physically Based Rendering systems and techniques.
- Possesses in-depth understanding of game engines, pipelines, and processes.
- Comprehensive knowledge of weapon designs; including form, shape, structure, functionality, and purpose.
- Rock-solid communication and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to thrive in a challenging and often ambiguous environment.
- Strong understanding of game art with ability to clearly discuss modern trends.
- Inspiring portfolio demonstrating focus and commitment to realistic weapons and current gen 2D/3D asset creation; ideally demonstrating hard surface firearm and weapon models with high-quality materials and textures.
- Familiarity with Call of Duty IP and storylines
- First Person Shooter development experience
- Previous experience designing for mobile devices
Solid State Studio is an emerging team within Activision Publishing focusing on both publishing and live operations for Call of Duty Mobile along with our new in-house studio dedicated to the development of AAA mobile titles. Designed around the singular focus of creating the best games in our space, ours is a mobile studio like no other. Developing in collaboration with Activision studios around the world, work on a new AAA mobile game in the Call of Duty franchise has begun. It takes the industry’s best talent to make entertainment history, and while we have world-class franchises, infrastructure and resources, our success comes from a driven and diverse team of people producing greatness together. We’re looking for developers from mobile and PC backgrounds passionate about their work and who believe in realizing the potential of mobile gaming as much as we do.
Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.