Who we are
Our mission at Sourcegraph is to make it so that everyone can code, not just ~0.1% of the population. We help developers and companies with billions of lines of code to create the software you use every day. In enabling more people to code, we believe we will create economic opportunities across the world and will drive progress that benefits everyone.
It’s an exciting time to join Sourcegraph. Our company is growing rapidly: we’ve experienced 4x year-over-year revenue growth and our recent $125M Series D from Andreessen Horowitz and $50M Series C from Sequoia have given us the opportunity to make big ambitious bets on our future. We have a huge market (every company that builds software) and massive opportunity (most developers haven’t even heard of code search yet, but once you’ve used it, you can’t live without it–like Google web search).
Why this job is exciting
You’ll join the industry leader in code search software. As the third lawyer on the legal team, you’ll shape the company’s approach to regulatory compliance and any litigation, including privacy and employment. You’ll own all privacy, product counseling, and global employment strategies at an all-remote company that hires around the world. We are invested in your growth and hope that you will be excited to become a leader on the legal team.
Within one month:
- Address 100% of privacy questions, equipping product development teams with legal requirements, risks, industry practice, and ethical and risk-based recommendations
- Start handling employment matters, including any investigations and terminations
- Engage with the broader legal community to understand evolving laws, trends, and issues in privacy and employment
- Update privacy policies, teammate code of conduct, and other related policies to comply with applicable laws and be understandable to non-legal audiences
Within three months:
- Assess and offer solutions to the business’s compliance and litigation risks across privacy and employment among other areas of compliance that you identify
- Be the legal point of contact for security audits and data retention policies
- Serve as primary counsel for all product questions
- Manage trademark program and other IP risks
Within six months:
- Set up risk-based product privacy program, including offering training and other enablement, FAQs, and playbooks
- Run employment law program for Sourcegraph including offering training and implementing policies
- Contribute to company’s diversity, equity, and inclusion strategy from legal point of view
Within one year:
- Build a privacy, employment, and general legal compliance program that meet business goals while managing legal risk
- Identify legal and business priorities for the business with an eye toward public company readiness
- And much more!
You have a regulatory and/or litigation background. You are comfortable, experienced, and interested in both privacy and employment because while your responsibilities will grow with the company to be much broader than just privacy and employment, we expect privacy and employment to take up 75% of your time for now. You have experience counseling fast-paced and high-growth technology companies.
You get stuff done. You manage up. You are good at building efficient processes. You are good at juggling competing priorities. You see yourself as a strategic business partner and a lawyer. You will collaborate with many teams–including Product, People, and Marketing–and work closely with and report to our Director of Legal.
- Experience with regulatory and/or litigation matters
- Experience implementing trainings, policies, and processes in global privacy
- Experience counseling fast-paced and high-growth companies
- Fluency in US and key international privacy laws
- Leadership and management experience or at least strong, demonstrated interest and potential
- JD from an accredited law school and active bar membership in at least one US state
- 5+ years of regulatory and/or litigation experience, including global privacy and employment matters
- Experience counseling B2B software companies
- Coding background and familiarity with open source software
- Experience managing teams and outside counsel
- [30 min] Recruiter Screen
- [45 min] Hiring Manager Screen with Tammy Zhu: we dig into your experience, strengths, weaknesses, and values
- [<1 hr] Assignment
- In-depth Interview Stage
- We check references & make an offer
Not sure if this is you?
We want a diverse, global team, with a broad range of experience and perspectives. If you don’t meet 100% of the above qualifications, you should still seriously consider applying. Studies show that you can still be considered for a role if you meet just 50% of the role’s requirements. We carefully consider every application, and will either move forward with you, find another team that might be a better fit, keep in touch for future opportunities, or thank you for your time.
Learn more about us
To create a product that serves the needs of all developers, we are building a diverse all-remote team that is distributed across the world. Sourcegraph is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities.
Learn more about what it is like to work at Sourcegraph by reading our handbook.
We want to ensure Sourcegraph is an environment that suits your working style and empowers you to do your best work, so we are eager to answer any questions that you have about us at any point in the interview process.
Go back to the careers page for all open positions.