We believe in having a transparent hiring process to provide a fair and inclusive experience to all our candidates.
Our team is dedicated to ensuring you have a great candidate experience, and that starts with outlining our hiring process from start to finish so you know what to expect every step of the way (no surprises!)—click here to learn more!
Are you passionate about partnering with stakeholders to provide exceptional legal support while implementing security standards and protocols to protect the business? Do you have a growth mindset and the ability to synthesize business goals with legal risk? You’re excited to flex your data security compliance expertise at a growing, inclusive, and diverse tech company — and you’ll find that at Thinkific!
We are hiring for a talented Legal Counsel to join the team at Thinkific! This will be a crucial role to support the overall growth of our business in a number of different ways. You’ll work closely with our Sales team to accelerate the sales cycle and better support Thinkific Plus customers by developing and negotiating agreements. You will also be a partner to teams across Thinkific to help ensure that all our products and business lines, including Payments, are robust and compliant, as well as to help meet our regulatory reporting obligations. As data security regulations continue to change and the needs of our customers evolve, you’ll play a key role in helping us scale up by creating policies and monitoring compliance.
In this role, you will:
- Negotiate, draft, review, and manage Customer agreements, including but not limited to sales agreements, non-disclosure agreements, data protection agreements, employment agreements and general procurement related agreements
- Provide legal support for all departments in the organization on a variety of legal and compliance topics
- Negotiate and draft agreements that minimize risks and maximize Thinkific’s rights in a manner that is respectful, cooperative with our customers and vendors, and embodies the Thinkific values
- Work with external counsel to obtain their subject matter expertise, where appropriate
- Identify risks and develop proactive, practical solutions to mitigate these risks
- Assist in the creation, review, and monitoring of compliance with policies associated with data privacy and security to provide a frictionless buying process
- Help complete and review security assessments from customers
- Contribute to employee compliance training
- Keep informed of relevant legislative changes and training stakeholders as appropriate
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Hold an LLB degree or J.D. as well as be a member in good standing of the Law Society of B.C.
- Have a minimum of 5 years of legal experience at a major law firm and in-house
- Demonstrate overall broad legal knowledge, but specifically including B2B Cloud based SaaS platforms, privacy and data protection law, and corporate/commercial law (sales agreements, license agreements).
- Have extensive experience with implementing security standard to meet current privacy standards
- Display a curiosity to learn about Thinkifics various business lines
- Be able to creatively problem solve in a way that bends to already established processes within Thinkific; you suggest solutions not present problems
- Show a high degree of professional ethics and integrity
- Communicate clearly and concisely with the ability to shift style to accommodate a variety of audiences
- Confidently be able to manage a wide array of legal matters and projects
- Have exceptional business judgment and ability to work independently
You might be the person we’re looking for if you:
- Worked with B2B Cloud based SaaS platforms
Bonus points if you:
- Can speak to Securities reporting experience
- Have experience in Data Security compliance and assisting a company in completing assessments like SOC2, ISO 27001 or CSA Star
- Previously worked in EdTech or Payments industries
This is an incredible role for the right candidate. We can’t wait to meet you!
We’re about the results of online learning and the people along the way! Thinkific is a software platform that enables entrepreneurs to create, market, sell, and deliver their own online courses.
Our mission is no less than to revolutionize the way people learn and earn online by giving them the tools they need to turn their expertise into a sustainable business that impacts both them and their audience. We believe in meaningful, innovative work: we’re building and expanding an incredible product that empowers course creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn and succeed together. Together, we’ve served over 50,000 course creators and more than 25 million students, and these numbers are growing each day!
Why we think you’ll like working with us:
- Be part of a team of incredibly talented, passionate, and driven people focused on building and innovating on a best-in-class learning platform
- Make an impact with your work—each person has an equal opportunity to contribute to our goals and every day, we get to see how Thinkific is empowering both course creators and their students
- Join one of the fastest-growing companies in Canada and find opportunities to grow in your own career—offering advancement opportunities for our team members is important to us!
- Contribute to Thinkific’s award-winning culture—we’re one of Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures and a certified Great Place to Work!
- We offer competitive salaries, a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental, vision, and mental health coverage, and an Employee and Family Assistance Program to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Whether you’re at our Vancouver HQ or working from home, you’ll have the opportunity to build meaningful relationships with Thinkers on your team and across the company through team-wide events, meet and greets with new team members, and regular social events
- Have fun with our team, even while we’re working remotely—join us for an online games session, virtual trivia and paint nights, at-home fitness challenges, or even an online coffee brewing demo!
- Get additional health and wellness support through a lifestyle or health spending account to put your dollars where you need it most, whether that’s subsidizing your gym membership, covering out-of-pocket expenses, or getting new gear
- Enjoy our open vacation policy and flexible work environment, because we know the importance of having a great work-life balance (and sometimes, you do your best work in slippers)
- Learn and Grow is one of our values and we take it seriously, providing opportunities through lunch and learns, training, workshops, mentorship, and our $1500 education allowance
- Grow your career AND your family at Thinkific—you’ll be taken care of with our parental leave top-ups as you add to your family
- Meet the many @dogsofthinkific (and yes, they’re as cute and cuddly as they look)
- Work with the hardware you’re most comfortable with, and upgrade or replace your system when you need to with our technology bonus
- Get set up for success, whether that’s at the office or at home. Whether you need a monitor, laptop stand, keyboard, mouse, or even a desk, we’ll work to ensure you have what you need to do your best work
- Be confident bringing your whole self to work—we’re proud to be an inclusive company with a diverse team and values grounded in ethics and equality
- Here at Thinkific, we know that the different perspectives on our team have led to amazing ideas, more innovation, and, ultimately, our success as a company. Our team welcomes applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, beliefs, identities, and statuses. Whoever you are—we can’t wait to meet you!