Remote is solving global remote organizations’ biggest challenge: employing anyone anywhere compliantly. We make it possible for businesses big and small to employ a global team by handling global payroll, benefits, taxes, and compliance (learn more about how it works at remote.com/how-it-works). We’re backed by A+ investors and our team is world-class, literally and figuratively, as we’re all scattered around the world.
Please check out our public handbook (at remote.com/handbook) to learn more about our culture. We encourage folks from all ethnic groups, genders, sexuality, age and abilities to apply. If this job description resonates with you, we want to hear from you!
All of our positions are fully remote. You do not have to relocate to join us!
How we work
We love working async and this means you get to do your own schedule. We empower ownership and proactivity and when in doubt default to action instead of waiting.
The position / our Legal team
This is an exciting time to join Remote and make a personal difference in the global HR-tech space as a Legal Associate (internally we call this a Legal Specialist), joining our Legal Team. We are looking for a talented and eager lawyer, who is interested in helping with our team’s mission, namely: supercharging our business through the provision of excellent legal advice and implementation of solid legal processes.
Remote’s well established Legal team is a bunch of friendly, talented highly motivated lawyers from a whole host of different countries, with some awesome experiences.
As Remote is increasing its global footprint, every expansion into a new country brings myriad legal issues. The Legal Team is responsible for the legal soundness of our business models, contractual agreements with clients and their staff (i.e. the employees we hire under our “Employer of Record” service – our “external employees”) and data protection compliance amongst other areas.
More specifically, we support:
- Our Sales team in their negotiations with clients (this includes optimising the contracting process – who doesn’t love a good playbook?);
- Our Employee Lifecycle team in their support for external employees (if you want to know how to get a social security number for someone in Spain, this is the place to be!); and
- Our International Expansion team, providing them with Legal support as we expand into new territories.
Our Legal team enjoy exposure to a broad range of areas, but are also encouraged to focus on one or two things specifically. We want to empower team members to Own (one of our five core values) their projects and tasks. They nevertheless have support, leadership and guidance from our General Counsel who has run Legal teams in 2 fast-paced scale ups.
Our priorities for 2022 are likely to be centred around:
- A better contracting process (for our Sales team and for when we onboard external employees).
- A better internal knowledge base so that colleagues can quickly find the answers they need on a self-service basis.
- Providing top quality Product counsel to teams that are improving our existing service and launching new services.
- Qualified Lawyer (mandatory)
- Experienced in advisory employment work (contentious work also a bonus but not required) including the entire employee lifecycle (although recruitment, HR policies, benefits, and terminations are the key areas)
- Keen to understand a whole range of international employment law challenges rather than just focusing on the territory in which you’ve trained.
- In house experience preferred in addition to private practice.
- Figures out solutions rather than just escalating problems.
- Low ego.
- Previous in-house experience (preferably 3 years+)
- Interested in working for a tech-scaleup and specifically HR-tech
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills
- Ability to switch between multiple different projects
- Ability to learn and master Remote’s communication application (Slack), contract management system (Juro), documentation sources (Notion, Google Drive, etc.), and task management system (Asana)
- Eager to learn about different legal systems
- Writes and speaks fluent English
- It is not required to have experience working remotely, but considered a plus.
- Advise the Onboarding and Employee Lifecycle tTeams on a range of queries that arise in relation to our employer of record employees, liaising with the employees themselves where required
- Helping us to develop excellent template contracts and knowledge resources.
- Supporting our Sales team when there are employment law questions.
- Helping with strategic thinking around our business model and future opportunities.
Remote Compensation Philosophy
Remote’s Total Rewards philosophy is to ensure fair unbiased compensation and fair pay along with competitive benefits in all locations in which we operate. We do not agree to or encourage cheap-labour practices and therefore pay a minimum annual salary of USD 40,000 per year, in all locations throughout the world. Actual compensation may vary based upon geographical location, experience, and/or skill level. However, it will never be below our minimum global compensation mentioned.
You can learn more about the benefits we’re offering to all internal employees at Remote by visiting our public Benefits & Perks Handbook page.
- You’ll report to: Head of Legal; Legal Team
- Team: Legal
- Location: Anywhere in the World
- Start date: As soon as possible
- (async) Profile review
- Interview with recruiter
- Interview with member of the legal team
- Interview with Head of Legal
- Reference calls
- (async) Offer
How to apply
Please fill out the form below.