Managing Editor, Local-National Hub
Quick Take: Axios is a growth-stage startup dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We’re hiring a Managing Editor to oversee our new Local-National Hub.
Why it Matters: Axios has built a newsroom of more than 150 talented journalists committed to providing our readers the most trustworthy information in the most efficient way possible. Reporting to our Editor-in-chief, the Managing Editor will play a critical role in providing new coverage that serves both Axios local and national audiences and oversee a new operation designed to streamline our coverage and scale as we grow.
Go deeper: You will oversee a team of subject matter experts, editors, and reporters to set the standard for covering new topics for Axios and launch new newsletter products. In this role, you will also make an impact through the following responsibilities:
- Oversee the launch of new newsletter content – from real estate to weather and entertainment – and new newsletter sends that drive engagement for our local and national audiences.
- Develop a steady cadence of data-driven content to serve local newsletter audiences with insights into their community. Ensure clear communication production and availability of this content as Axios Local scales to more cities.
- Develop new special weekend newsletter sends on a regular cadence for local newsletter audiences ranging from real estate to education and entertainment and travel.
- Oversee team of roughly a dozen journalists.
- Ensure the hub reporters are spotting national stories from local newsletters and writing them with a national perspective for Axios’s broad range of national audiences, such as Axios.com, Axios AM/PM and Business Suite.
- Partner closely with Axios operations team to align new content sends with sales, marketing, events and membership teams.
- Manage the Hub teams to ensure high quality reporting, writing, editing and presentation of Axios journalism.
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Base salary for this role is in the range of $180,000-$230,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.