Type/Code recognizes that diverse teams make the strongest teams. Candidates from traditionally underrepresented groups in tech are highly encouraged to apply.
At 15 people, our team is lean, and our developers are top notch. As an engineer at Type/Code, you won’t just be churning out code at breakneck speed, blindly following a spec, disconnected from your work. You’ll care about the products you build and the community you build it with. You’ll exercise autonomy and decision making alongside team collaboration and mentorship to do amazing work.
Every dev on our team came on board with different strengths and we’re not too prescriptive about your current specific expertise. At Type/Code you’ll be expected to constantly learn and grow on the job, taking on interesting tasks outside your normal wheelhouse and expanding your toolkit. That said this is a mid to senior role and significant experience (3-5+ years) as an engineer is a must, and familiarity with AWS/infra/devops/security is preferred.
What We Value:
- Community: our team is small and close knit and we want you to join the family
- Work/life balance: we’re not a startup, we tend to stay away from projects with difficult deadlines (not to say it doesn’t happen), and we want you to be happy so should make your non-work life a priority!
- Thoughtful, high quality work: we want you to own what you do, care about it, want to do it well, and create something you feel good about
- Communication: especially in the current distributed model, frequent and clear communication with the team is crucial
As a mid to senior level position, experience with all of the below is preferred (though the specific language/technologies are not) and expertise in some is assumed. As such, in your cover letter/email we’d love to hear about your experience with the following:
- Frontend development: we’re primarily a vuejs shop, though we have some react projects/needs.
- Backend development: very python/django heavy (DRF experience a big plus) but have some laravel and node projects as well.
- Infrastructure: we’re entirely AWS (ECS, Fargate, ELB, EC2, RDS, S3, SES, etc). We extensively use docker/compose and terraform.
- CI/CD: github actions (and a touch of custom scripting)
- Monitoring: mostly honeybagder (though previously sentry)
- Version control: github and increasingly all the fancy github features (issues, discussions, actions, secrets, etc)
- Development lifecycle: we’re not super rigid here, but we follow a formal dev/stage/deploy process with extensive code review and QA, TDD when it makes sense, and as agile as makes sense for the project/requirements
Though we’ll be reopening our Brooklyn office in early ’22, our team is currently pretty distributed – our only location requirement is that you have sufficient work hours overlap with the rest of the team.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Competitive salary
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k Matching
- Generous vacation policy; unlimited sick days
- Professional growth stipend
- Currently fully remote, fairly location agnostic
- Flexible hours