TXI is looking for a Mobile Engineer who can see both the forest and the trees.
Building the right thing is often harder than building it right. More than 80% of digital innovations fail because they are not solving the real user need. We take a pragmatic approach to innovation by deploying integrated teams to uncover insights from users and turn them into compelling digital solutions. As a boutique strategy and product innovation firm, our capabilities include product discovery, delivery, and adoption. As a Mobile Engineer, you have an opportunity to shape and define the products that you build.
Here’s what we expect from you
- Expertly develop mobile code
- Collaborate with back-end developers to create APIs that meet the needs of our mobile apps
- Understand clients’ businesses, build relationships with clients, and guide strategic decisions to make clients successful
- Communicate professionally and empathetically, solicit and provide feedback, actively offer help, and make sure everyone is aligned
- Guide architecture and implementation discussions; help unblock other developers, establish best practices for maintainability; and strategically balance test coverage, risk and budget
- Take responsibility (even when no one asks)
- Work collaboratively on a cross-functional team of developers, designers, and business analysts
- Learn from everyone, no matter what their title is
Our Tech Stack
- Mobile: We develop cross-platform apps in React Native and we’ve previously written iOS apps in Objective-C and Swift, as well as Android apps in Java.
- CI: We use Microsoft App Center for both continuous integration and continuous distribution. We ship regular beta builds to internal team members and clients, and handle App Store / Google Play submissions through the App Center, as well.
- Collaboration: We use GitHub for repository hosting and code review.
What your days will look like, what success looks like
Setting proper expectations has a big impact on your progressional growth. Here is what you can expect in your first two years as a Mobile Engineer:
Within 1 month, you will
//Start the company onboarding process, learning more about our company’s culture, values, history, and commitments to our clients //Gain an understanding of our integrated development process, tooling and frameworks, and project approach
//Shadow client teams to learn from our integrated squad(s) of designers, developers, and delivery managers
//Learn more about the client experience, from product discovery through delivery and into maintenance
//Go deeper into the employee experience of working at TXI, meeting with key leaders across the company and building relationships with the broader team
Within 3 months, you will
//Complete your onboarding process with your onboarding cohort
//Start your first project and begin relationships with developers, designers, and delivery managers on your team as well as across the company
//Engage your first client while learning more about their business, unique challenges, and growth opportunities
//Complete your first Sticky Note Game
//Have a manager identified and receive your first quarterly feedback
//Attend your first TXI Quarterly with the rest of the organization
Within 6 months, you will
//See a high-impact project through, ideally from start to finish. You will participate in client-facing retrospectives along the way to look for opportunities to evolve and improve
//Complete a review with your manager
//Push your team to do its best work yet. You’ll know the team well by this point and will understand how to encourage them to do work that the whole team and company can be incredibly proud of
//Advance the craft of software development at TXI. You’ll set a good example and share what you’ve learned with others
//Learn new technologies to support further growth and develop your own skills
Within 1 year, you will
//Attend a company retreat to get to know all of the employees outside of the office setting
//Potentially start with a second client or re-engage with your first client on a new product or phase of work while deepening your relationships
After 2 years, you will
//Have the opportunity to become an owner in the business
//Look back proudly on the projects and organizational changes you’ve inspired or directed, which create an impact on how we do business
Some reasons why you might like working with us
We have been recognized for both our internal employee experience and for delivering a trusted customer experience. At TXI, we are very intentional about the way we work and support both our team and our clients.
1. We focus on product innovation by helping to envision initial new product concepts for our clients. We are core contributors to shaping the work that we do and the problems we’re working to solve. In addition to that ideation stage, we help them bring these new concepts to market. We help both to build the right thing (design thinking and product discovery) and build the thing right (agile mindset and iterative approach).
2. We care about DEIB (diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging). To deliver the best solutions, we need as many bright and diverse minds in the room as possible, and we need to be able to learn from them once they’re here. That’s why we’re working to create an environment that’s comfortable and inclusive for everyone. Learn more about our DEIB learnings, roadmap, and history.
3. We work in a variety of industries, encourage our team members to explore new domains, solve different kinds of problems, and adopt new technologies. There is no getting bored in our portfolio; you’ll work across health care, edtech, manufacturing, and nonprofits–just to name a few–and build web, mobile, and IOT solutions.
4. We work in integrated teams (and avoid staff augmentation). At TXI, we seek to bring all of the good ideas to the table so you learn from the talented teammates you regularly pair with. Product, design, and development regularly collaborate, and we are all listening to the same users.
5. We are intentional about supporting each individual’s growth. “Challenge and support each other” is a core value of the company and we take that mission seriously. That’s why every employee has a personal learning and development budget and a bi-weekly conversation with their manager about their progress–as well as why our CEO created the Sticky Note Game to encourage each person’s path at TXI.
6. We believe that wellness and a sustainable pace deliver the best outcomes. To be dedicated partners, we commit to our clients for a sustainable 35 hours a week. We don’t require regular travel or client on-site time. Our team members have flexible schedules with a hybrid (co-located or remote) working environment and discretionary time off because we respect that everyone has a life outside of work.
7. We value transparency and open discussion. You will have a front-line view of the company’s performance, risks and issues, finances and budgets. With unique tools and facilitation techniques, we also regularly connect and discuss topics as a company to guide our path forward.
8. We build products that matter. We advance the causes and goals of our partners and consistently deliver outcomes for them. See some examples below.
What We Make
For over two decades, we’ve partnered with clients across industries to research, design, and develop custom web and mobile applications that make a meaningful impact. These impacts include:
<>Empowering nonprofits with real-time insight into progress and potential for donor impact through transformative fundraising software
<>Designing a digital experience that is driven by evidence-based treatment and therapy plans to support LGBTQ+ youths between the ages of 14 and 17 who face societal and personal biases due to their orientation prior to coming out
<>Driving accountability and motivation for patients recovering from spinal surgery through an integrated mobile app and wearable device on the patient’s lower back
<>Improving prediction of patient enrollment in global clinical trials for life-saving drugs through the integration of advanced analytics and digital innovation
<>Creating a new mobile app to inspire employees to love where they work by delivering meaningful savings and recognition in their workplace, while also amplifying merchant partner reach across the US
But the work is just part of what makes TXI a rewarding place to be. We support each others’ interests—whether it’s volunteering, organizing meetups, speaking at industry events, or learning new techniques and technologies. If there’s something you’re passionate about, we want you to pursue it so you can teach it to the rest of us. Our company Lunch & Learns, Sticky Note Game, and regular practice meetings are just some of the ways we create space for sharing, learning, and professional development.
What We Offer
We believe in equitable pay. The salary range for this role is $110,000 to $160,000 CAD. In addition to our base compensation, we offer a bi-annual bonus based on company performance and the following benefits, intended to take care of you (and the people you care about):
-Quality health insurance
-Paid parental leave policy (equal for all TXI parents) and discretionary paid time off
-401k plan, including employer matching
-The option to work fully remote with minimal client or onsite client work
-Company retreats and Quarterly days
– a chance to connect with each other in person and outside of the office
-Benefits for continuing education, donation matching, renewable energy switching
US-friendly hours are strongly preferred. We have a hybrid setup at TXI – with both a home office in Chicago and the opportunity for any of our team members (currently in the US, Canada, and Europe) to work distributed, either from home or at one of the coworking spaces in our network. We communicate and collaborate effectively in a remote environment with tools like Miro, Notion, Slack, and Zoom. While we encourage asynchronous communication, we often work in pairs or in collaboration sessions, so it is important to have some core hours of overlap with our clients and fellow team members. Regardless of where you are living and working, we will get together as a company several times a year to help build connections and foster relationships in our team.
What to expect next
If we move forward, here’s the rest of the process that we’ll use to learn whether this role is an amazing fit for you:
Initial Interviews: First, you’ll chat with a TXI recruiter. After connecting with our recruiting team, you’ll meet the hiring lead over Zoom and cover some TXI basics. Then, the conversation will focus on your past work and how it relates to what you’d be doing at TXI. This stage is a 2-call process and should take no more than 90 min total (unless you want to dig in, chat more and spend some extra time learning about us!).
Virtual Pairing Session: Here is where we give you a preview for the role, as well as the space to show off your skills. You’ll build a simple app that is intended to allow you to set up your environment, use the tools you’re most comfortable with, and choose the languages and frameworks in which you feel most confident. You will then pair with 2 developers on the team to build upon it. This stage should take no more than 90 minutes total and we’ll both have a clear sense of how we work together by the end.
Final All Team interview: At this stage we’re incredibly excited about your potential with TXI. You’ll get to know more about the team you’d be working with over a 3.5 hour-long session. You’ll hang out with 6 to 8 of your potential integrated team members, and we will learn more about your holistic fullstack tech experience, consultative skills, and values. You will also spend time with some of our leadership team to talk about how TXI can support you on your personal journey.
Offer/Decision within 24-48 hours: You’ve made it! You successfully completed the process and spent about 6-7 hours learning about us while sharing more about yourself. Once we get to this stage, we like to move fast. We are committed to debriefing within 24 hours and presenting a final decision within 48 hours (or less!) of your final interview day. If we choose to move forward, our team will collaborate with you to ensure that you have all the information you need to make the right decision for you and your career!
We take equality seriously
TXI is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is committed to equal opportunity employment without regard to race, religion, color, gender (including gender identity, change of sex, and transgender status), sexual orientation, age, disability, ancestry, national origin, military or veteran status, marital status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
In an effort to protect our employees and their families during these unusual times, proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required as a condition of employment with TXI. This means all individuals must be fully-vaccinated (i.e. two weeks after their second shot for a 2-dose vaccine such as Pfizer or Moderna, or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine such as Johnson & Johnson) to be employed with TXI. Of course, we are willing to consider requests for accommodation on an individualized basis. Any medical information will be kept confidential.