At Propel, our mission is to build modern, respectful, and effective financial tools for low-income Americans. Over 4 million people use our first product, Fresh EBT, to manage government benefits on their EBT card, save money, and earn income. Read more about the impact of Fresh EBT here, here, and here. Now we’re expanding further into the financial services space by building a new financial product that will offer the best banking option for low-income Americans.
We’re looking for an experienced, scrappy, and mission-driven Operations Specialist to join our operations team — the team that ensures that Fresh Card works. You’ll work on a range of key initiatives from investigating cards that went off track to working directly with customers to protect their accounts. You’ll use data to identify opportunities for operational improvement and provide feedback to the product team around fixes and new features. Success for this role means building a set of processes and policies for additional team members to follow in your footsteps as our user base grows.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, Medicaid or other social safety net programs.
What we offer:
- Immediate ownership of an array of operations challenges
- A fast-moving, get-stuff-done environment where you will be a major contributor to the business and culture on day one
- Opportunity to immediately improve the financial lives of millions of Americans living with limited or uneven income
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Fort Greene, Brooklyn (note: remote work available through 2020)
What you’ll do:
- Work closely with users to resolve disputes, escalations and fraud.
- Build new operational processes around payment operations, reporting, fraud/risk, and customer support
- Identify opportunities to simplify processes, limit risk, or increase operational efficiency; over time, build standardized and scalable processes for internal teams
- Work closely with the product team to scope new features and develop ways to test new ideas
What you have:
- 2+ years experience at a fintech (preferably on a debit/prepaid product) with experience in payment and fraud operations
- Experience working with early-stage companies and making the right tradeoffs between speed and quality
- Experience working directly with users to resolve issues and creating process improvements
- Experience with using Excel to identify performance opportunities and comfortable with SQL
- Excellent communicator; able to break down issues for non subject matter experts
- Passionate about building great financial products for low-income Americans
- Willing to work in Brooklyn, New York and unrestricted work authorization in the US