The tech sector has failed low-income Americans. Technology is generally built by people who have money, for people who have money. That’s because people solve the problems they understand, and with economic inequality only getting worse, most technologists don’t understand the lived experience of those with limited income. At Propel, we’re doing our part to change that. Our first app, Fresh EBT, is used by over 4 million families who get SNAP benefits (also known as food stamps) to manage their benefits, save money, and earn income. Read more about Fresh EBT here, here, and here. Now we’re building a new type of bank account specifically for people living on or near the safety net and we need your help.
We’re looking for an Operations Program Manager who will play a pivotal role in the scaling of our new debit card product by being a champion of process clarity and standardization. The right person for this role loves to build something from nothing and bring structure to a high-paced startup environment. In this role you’ll be responsible for making sure that the Debit Ops knowledge base is reliable, up-to-date, and well written. Our Customer Support and Fraud teams will come to rely on you as the leader of all things debit ops procedures. Our Operations Program Manager will also push us to be better by continuing to find opportunities to redesign existing processes and develop reporting to measure overall efficiency and effectiveness.
Propel is a for-profit software company that holds its social mission at its core. Our investors include Andreessen Horowitz, the Omidyar Network, Kevin Durant, Serena Williams, and Nas.
We are strongly committed to hiring a diverse and multicultural team. We encourage applications from traditionally under-represented backgrounds, including those with direct experience with the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program or other government benefits.
- The opportunity to help scale a brand new product
- Immediate opportunity to make an impact
- A get-stuff-done and fun and caring culture
- Meaningful work and a strong shared sense of mission
- Competitive compensation (including equity) and excellent benefits
- A dog-friendly office based in Downtown Brooklyn (with the opportunity to work remote past 2021)
What you’ll do:
- Design and improve the information architecture of the existing knowledge base
- Write clear and rigorous articles on various customer and operational items
- Use quantitative and qualitative analysis to measure efficacy of processes and create dashboards that measure operational performance
- Collaborate with our engineering team and external vendors to manage product implementations
- Own broader team communication to ensure all team members are aware of new processes
What you have:
- 4+ years experience with process improvement, preferably in financial services or environments with complex operational challenges
- Excellent written and oral communication skills: You love creating content that others can learn from and communicate insights in a structured and organized way
- Quantitative analytical skills: You’re able to manipulate data in order to derive insights
- Ability to be self-directed: You’re comfortable stepping in a new role that doesn’t have much definition or structure yet – this should excite you!
- Collaborative skills: You’re team oriented and willing to play a supportive role, but can step-up and lead new projects as needed
- A wealth of curiosity: You ask why something works the way it does in order to learn quickly and identify opportunities for improvement
- Patience: You appreciate that some changes and projects take time and are flexible and understanding of how an organization functions
- Deep desire to help fulfill Propel’s mission of building modern, effective, and respectful tools for low-income Americans