We acknowledge that Bench headquarters is located on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territory of the Coast Salish Peoples, including the territories of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaʔ/Selilwitulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations.
Our mission is to make a profound difference in the quality of life of one million people, by removing the financial complexity of entrepreneurship. Businesses need to understand their financial performance, but for many smaller ones, this means a trade-off between doing their books and running their businesses.
Bench solves this dilemma by taking bookkeeping off of their hands. Learn more about us on our About page.
We’re growing fast, and we’re looking for exceptional people to join us on this incredible journey. Check out our culture guide to learn more about what it’s like to work at Bench!
What does the People Team team look like?
The People Team is one of the most critical functions of our business: we are responsible for attracting, developing and retaining world-class talent. Being a member of this team means you’ll play an integral role in increasing the efficiency, effectiveness and equity of our People systems.
As our data and people loving Analyst, you’ll be key to unlocking insights, building intelligence and telling compelling stories, as you dive deep into our people data. You’re an influencer, and a key contributor to driving the success and growth of our business.
You’ll work to transfer your business understanding and intrinsic curiosity into a structured problem-solving environment, with the support of several high-performing and collaborative leaders.
Here are some of the things you’ll get up to:
- Develop and design our emerging People analytics data environment.
- Own the development, evolution and maintenance of all key people analytics, including:
- Recruitment efficiency, quality and speed, by reviewing headcount requirements, historical candidate data, SLA and KPI metrics.
- People Operations, Environment and Total Rewards service level agreement metrics.
- Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging metrics.
- Macro-people metrics, including company-wide attrition, retention and engagement.
- Work with cross-functional teams to develop and maintain predictive headcount requirements, translating this data into future resourcing conversations for the people team.
- Own the continuous improvement and maintenance of People data reports, generated from UKG, our HRIS.
- Assist with quarterly and annual people audits, including vacation accruals, variable pay OTE vs actuals, and Benchmate work location preferences.
- Support our people team leaders to accurately forecast our annual budget through analysis and collaboration with our finance team.
- Partner with People leadership to capture critical data as new trends and insights occur.
- High Proficiency in Sheets: You thrive in a spreadsheet environment and are proficient in all major google sheets (or Excel) functionalities. You have the ability to build and maintain streamlined and well-structured forecasts that are modular, manipulatable and easy to digest.
- Strong analytical skills: You have an analytical mind and are capable of breaking down large problems into smaller ones. You consistently demonstrate a clear, logical and structured approach to problem solving.
- Strong stakeholder management skills: You’re comfortable synthesizing feedback from a wide variety of stakeholders and can adeptly balance conflicting priorities.
- Communication: You are able to succinctly summarize your findings and recommendations. Your stakeholders will represent a diverse group of skills and experience, so you will need to be highly skilled at crafting communications which ‘fit’ the audience.
- Human-centric: You understand that people are incredible, and also imperfect and messy. No data will perfectly capture this. A successful candidate will be able to infuse a deep understanding of people into the data-driven recommendations they produce
- Not just a data-consumer, rather an active member of the full pipeline: You think critically about what data you require to build an informed forecast or piece of analysis and are a partner in determining how that data can be generated or captured. A successful candidate will not only consume and analyze data to surface insights, but will play an active role in devising our workforce data collection and management strategy.
It could be an even better fit if you have:
- Experience with People systems: we use Greenhouse, CultureAmp, JIRA, Salesforce, Payfactors, and UKG. Doing some lightweight configuration and reporting to automate data-distribution to different users or analytical environments will allow you to go above and beyond.
- Strong to medium proficiency SQL: At a minimum, you are comfortable running simple queries in a Redshift environment. Experience in other coding languages will serve as a replacement for SQL skills, as it is a strong indicator that you’ll be able to grow your SQL skills.
Bonus points if you have:
- Basic data-warehousing experience using Redshift: Some experience building relational data sources in Redshift & table materialization will allow you to go above and beyond.
The extra details:
- This is a full-time permanent position because we want to spend lots of time with your wonderful self!
- At Bench we share information freely and openly whenever possible and responsible. The salary range for this role is $58,160 – $72,700. Stock options will also be a part of the total compensation package.
- In addition to an annual salary, stock options, unlimited paid flex days, and an extended benefits package that includes health, dental, and vision, all Benchmates have access to Inkblot Therapy, our virtual counselling service to support mental wellbeing, and Bravely, our confidential, on-demand, 1:1 professional coaching service.
- Bench offers several affinity groups which are gatherings of folx with shared identities and experiences! The purpose of these groups is to support underrepresented Benchmates, provide community, and amplify their voices.
- We are open to someone in a fully remote capacity for this role, Canada wide. You’ll also have the option to work in a hybrid environment – splitting your time between our Vancouver office and your home, in and around Vancouver. We’ll help set you up so you’re able to do your life’s best work, no matter where you’re located.
Everyone has their own unique talents. Even if you don’t meet 100% of the qualifications outlined above, tell us why you’d be a great fit for this role in your application.
We believe that unchecked biases disproportionately impact the most marginalized people in society—including but not limited to BIPOC, LGBTQ2S+ people, immigrants, and people with disabilities. We strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or other marginalized communities because we believe that without you, we are all less. At Bench, we don’t stand for tokenism. We stand for representation.