Quick take: Axios is a growth-stage company dedicated to providing trustworthy, award-winning news content in an audience-first format. We are hiring a Politics Editor for online breaking news.
Why it matters: We’re looking for a talented editor with experience covering politics and elections, with the metabolism and expertise for online breaking news. This editor will plan, coordinate and edit breaking politics news stories with reporters on the Axios Politics team as well as Newsdesk reporters and editors, helping to drive coverage of the White House, Congress, national politics, policy and midterm elections.
Details: This position reports to the Managing Editor for Politics. They will coordinate throughout the day with the Newsdesk editors and reporters. They will function as a dayside partner to the Axios’ Sneak Peek newsletter editor.
- This position is envisioned primarily as an early morning through afternoon shift, though some late hours may be required on occasion.
- This position may involve some weekend shifts and irregular hours related to the political cycle and primary and general election calendars.
- This position may include breaking news reporting and writing and occasionally editing the Sneak Peek newsletter.
Go deeper: Ideal candidates will embody an entrepreneurial spirit and passion for Axios’ mission and will have had experience at a wire service or breaking news desk for a major newspaper, online politics site or digital arm of cable or network news. They will have the following skills:
- A deep understanding of the political landscape
- A passion for political coverage and trends and ability to drive the conversation
- Experience identifying the most urgent news on the web as it emerges, moving quickly to activate coverage with Newsdesk and Politics team reporters
- Familiarity with the competitive breaking news space on the web, including experience writing sharp headlines built for social media and SEO
- Experience with alerting news for app, email and social audiences
- Proven attention to detail on fact checking and copy editing
- Positive attitude and ability to thrive in fast-twitch, high pressure news environments
- Comfort with newsroom workflow tools and real-time analytics
- Interest and experience in managing junior reporters
- Willingness to work early mornings or evenings and weekends as needed
- Competitive salary
- Health insurance (100% paid for individuals, 75% for families)
- Primary caregiver 12-week paid leave
- Generous vacation policy, plus company holidays
- Commuter and cell phone benefit
- A commitment to an open, inclusive, and diverse work culture
- Annual learning and development stipend
Additional pandemic-related benefits:
- One mental health day per quarter
- $100 monthly work-from-home stipend
- Tele-mental health services
- OneMedical membership, including tele-health services
- Increased work flexibility for parents and caretakers
- Access to the Axios “Family Fund”, which was created to allow employees to request financial support when facing financial hardship or emergencies
- Virtual company-sponsored social events
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Axios is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, age, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Axios makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Salary Range: Base salary for this role is in the range of $120,000-$150,000 and is dependent on numerous factors, including but not limited to location, work experience, and skills. This range does not include other compensation benefits.