At Velir we believe and know that great design can change perspectives, drive behaviors, and spark action. It all starts with genuine people, purpose-driven projects, and a work environment that supports the creation of inspiring work. As an integral member within our Experience Design team, you’ll feel the importance of user experience and the role of design in developing new solutions for our clients. You are familiar with user-centric design processes on a practical level, and with visual design, bring new concepts and experiences to life.
As a principal practitioner, you will be responsible for being a collaborative partner with our SVP of Experience Design, envisioning exceptional digital experiences for our globally recognized clients. You live and breathe all things design and don’t settle for anything less than perfect. You have a strong command of typography, interaction design and can communicate underlying design principles and theories to those around you. You will work alongside peers in a supportive environment where you will be able to thrive and grow, as well as mentor more junior designers. As a Principal Designer, you are encouraged to share your experiences and methods with peers in and outside of the organization to drive change.
Why You Should Join
We strive to provide a sensible working environment that endorses healthy work hours, and we offer flexible remote work options. We have a progressive parental leave policy, offer paid volunteer days, and vacation time is not just encouraged, but celebrated.
We believe that high-performing teams include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other’s assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we actively seek a diverse pool of applicants, including those from historically marginalized groups. If you’re from a background that’s underrepresented in tech, we’d particularly love to meet you.
- Deliver design concepts and solutions to meet the needs of the business and its intended audience, in an exceptionally high degree of fidelity and detail.
- Embrace and evolve Velir’s design philosophy and practice, internally and externally.
- Help influence a culture of constructive critique and curiosity.
- Present design and creative thinking to clients, with an emphasis on its relevance to user-centered design.
- Identify and communicate objectives, ensuring we achieve the goal set out for our clients and their users.
- Proactively share project progress for review by the SVP of Experience Design
- Support estimation and planning activities of design deliverables, and report on the status of such deliverables to the project management team and notify them of risks.
- Support new business opportunities by leading pitches and generating ideas for prospective work.
- Share project experiences with the wider team, providing critique and direction to your peers.
- Contribute to company blog posts, social media, as well as attending conferences.
- Challenging yourself and others to think creatively and improving the standard of our work by making recommendations for training and development.
- Organizing regular meetings with more junior designers to discuss and assess their work.
- Lead by example and uphold the agency’s values at all times.
Skills & Qualifications
- A creative, conceptual thinker with an inquisitive mindset.
- An insistence on following user-centered design principles and best practices.
- Fastidious attention to detail, polish, and thorough design decisions.
- Collaborative, whilst taking responsibility for your own work.
- Strong personal interest in the mentoring relationship.
- 6+ years creating visual design, information design, and interaction design solutions for a broad set of digital experiences.
- 2+ years leading projects and managing stakeholders
- Undertaking of primary and secondary research, as a core part of your design process.
- Expert in industry-standard creative design software (for example Sketch, Adobe XD, InVision and so on).
- A solid understanding in graphic and visual design principles, and the ability to articulate them.
- Strong aesthetic sensibilities as well as the ability to articulate, rationalize and document visual directions.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and familiarity with technical constraints and limitations as they apply to designing for platforms such as desktop and mobile.
- Understanding of front-end development and execution, and how to optimize designs.
- Experience working in cross-disciplinary design and development teams.
- Leading design discussions, workshops, and presentations.
- Pitching and winning new business accounts.
- Previous experience of mentoring more junior designers is desirable.
- Online portfolio that showcases your design, innovation, and strong problem-solving skills.
- Domestic travel for client meetings as needed
- Frequent sitting at a desk performing work on a computer
- Reasonable accommodations to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
Core Company Values
Velir is an established mid-sized agency with a top-tier portfolio of clients, ranging from the world’s largest non-profits to Fortune 500 brands. We pride ourselves on our people-first culture and a low-ego workplace that embraces experimentation, collaboration and continuous improvement. We offer flexible work locations, competitive pay, and excellent benefits.
- Take the Long View – Ensure the company is built to last
- Be Courageous – Make the right decisions even when they aren’t the easiest decisions
- Be Genuine – Bring honesty and authenticity to all that you do
- Work with Focus + Passion – Display purpose and pride in your work and never stop learning
At this time, Velir does not sponsor candidates and unfortunately cannot accept those on OPT or CPT.