Thinkific is a software platform that gives anyone, anywhere the ability to easily create, market, and sell their own online courses. We believe in impactful and innovative work: our team of 400+ Thinkers is building and expanding an incredible product that empowers creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn, grow, and succeed together. Join us to see how we’re building one of the best workplaces in Canadian tech!
We believe every candidate should have a fair, inclusive, and overall great experience when exploring a new role with Thinkific. That starts with outlining our hiring process so you know what to expect every step of the way—click here to learn more: https://thnk.cc/whattoexpect
Do you act as a force multiplier, making our Engineering team better by advocating for best practices and helping less experienced Engineers find ways to level up their skills? We’re looking for a Principal Engineer (Front End) to join us at Thinkific.
As a Principal Engineer (Front End) at Thinkific, you will act as a technical leader for the front end technical stack and design system. Working closely with the Product, Design, and Engineering teams, you’ll help form long term technical solutions for our front end stack and design system. You’ll be reporting into an Engineering Manager, and supporting multiple feature teams in mentoring engineers, reviewing technical proposals and building best practices.
Your goal will be to migrate and maintain our design systems, while also being an expert in our front end stack. Here’s how you’ll accomplish this:
- Keep up to date with the latest trends and technologies in software in order to ensure that best practices for quality software development and testing methodologies are followed
- Work with Product Managers, Project Leads, and Engineers to ensure that business requirements have been turned into technical requirements. This includes providing high level technical estimates, technical options and feasibility opinions.
- Forming strategies, writing proposals and pitching them across the company, for new front end architecture, design system, components, or approaches
- Perform as an IC on major technical roadmap items while mentoring and delegating to others for the duration of the project
- Interact with various areas within the company in order to create shared understanding and buy-in for initiatives, including product, engineering, and design
The person we have in mind likely:
- Has 3+ years of experience in a Staff or Principal Engineer, Technical Lead or Architect role
- Is an expert of front end languages, such as React, TypeScript, NodeJS, CSS
- Has expert-level knowledge of front end frameworks and design systems
- Regularly interacts with Engineering and Design teams and has the ability to gain buy-in for ideas
- Loves to learn and grow. They’ve found (and keep looking for) ways to level up their skills in this field, whether that’s through formal education, gaining professional experience, or maybe even building their own business
These things would also be nice, but we think you could learn them on the job:
- Knowledge of one or more web frameworks, and experience building and maintained shared design systems
- Experience writing technical specifications
- Experience building front end experiences for a wide range of device types
This is just our initial idea of who we’re looking for! At Thinkific, we know that people have unique career journeys. If your experience is close to what we’ve described but you feel that you might be missing a few of the requirements, please still apply! We’re also committed to providing a comfortable and accessible interview process for every candidate. If there are any accommodations our team can make throughout our hiring process (big or small), please let us know.
What you can expect if you join Thinkific:
- An amazing team of talented, passionate, and kind Thinkers. Together, we’ve built an amazing culture—we’re one of the Best Workplaces in Canada and a Top Small & Medium Employer!
- The chance to build, improve, and innovate on a platform that’s driving positive impact—we already support 50,000+ active creators in over 165 countries.
- A competitive compensation package. This includes your base salary, equity, and an Employee Share Purchase Plan, on top of some great perks.
- Comprehensive benefits starting on Day 1. We have health, vision, and dental coverage for you and your family, plus $3000 for mental health care and a health or personal spending account.
- A flexible work environment—choose to work from home, at our Vancouver HQ, a co-working space, or anywhere there’s wifi for a change of scenery.
- An open vacation policy and flexible work environment. Our team takes a minimum of 4 weeks vacation each year and makes work fit into their lives (not the other way around).
- Career growth. We put an emphasis on your development with our annual Learn and Grow fund, training, mentorship, coaching, and internal promotion opportunities.
- A home office setup. You’ll be ready to succeed with a company-owned Macbook Pro and a budget to get a desk, chair, or any accessories to help you work comfortably and productively.
- Generous parental leave top-ups for up to 32 weeks, as well as fertility coverage through our group benefits plan.
- A place where you can bring your whole self to work. We know that different perspectives lead to amazing ideas, more innovation, and, ultimately, our success as a company. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, beliefs, identities, and statuses. Whoever you are—we can’t wait to meet you!