Thinkific is a software platform that gives anyone, anywhere the ability to easily create, market, and sell their own online courses. We believe in impactful and innovative work: our team of 400+ Thinkers is building and expanding an incredible product that empowers creators around the globe while working collaboratively to learn, grow, and succeed together. Join us to see how we’re building one of the best workplaces in Canadian tech!
We believe every candidate should have a fair, inclusive, and overall great experience when exploring a new role with Thinkific. That starts with outlining our hiring process so you know what to expect every step of the way—click here to learn more: https://thnk.cc/whattoexpect
Are you an experienced Technical Lead or Architect who is all about solving complex problems, challenging the status quo, and mentoring other engineers? We’re looking for a Principal Engineer (Full Stack) to join us at Thinkific!
As a Principal Engineer (Full Stack) working with our Multiple Learning Products team at Thinkific, you’ll act as a force multiplier, making our Engineering team better by advocating for best practices and helping fellow Engineers find ways to level up their skills. Reporting into the Senior Manager, Engineering for our Learn division, you’ll speak to the technical aspects of the product, connect planned work for multiple learning products to business strategy, and most importantly, influence others around you towards these goals.
Your goal will be to help drive the technical strategy for creating multiple learning products at Thinkific. Here’s how you’ll accomplish this:
- Be the technical leader for Multiple Learning Products by researching and creating prototypes, providing high-level technical estimates, sharing technical options, and advising on feasibility options while considering the product as a whole
- Create a shared understanding and buy-in for initiatives for new ideas by creating and maintaining relationships with stakeholders across the Product and Engineering organizations
- Perform as an individual contributor on major technical roadmap items while mentoring and delegating to others when appropriate for projects, starting with determining how our platform handles multiple user roles with the overall goal of moving our roadmap of creating multiple learning products forward.
- Review technical proposals for other Engineers and help other Engineers on the team level up by mentoring them and helping them solve complex problems
- Play an active role in our hiring process to help us continue to scale our Engineering team, from interviewing candidates to conducting assignment reviews
The person we have in mind likely:
- Displays an expert-level knowledge of software design and architecture, and has experience with writing technical specifications
- Understands the needs of customers and users and is comfortable interacting with customers on a regular basis
- Loves to learn and grow. They’ve found (and keep looking for) ways to level up their skills in this field, whether that’s through formal education, gaining professional experience, or maybe even building their own business
These things would also be nice, but we think you could learn them on the job:
- Previous experience in a SaaS environment using a shared code and infrastructure model
- Experience architecting cloud-native solutions
- Expert-level knowledge of one or more web frameworks
- Business analysis and requirements gathering experience
This is just our initial idea of who we’re looking for! At Thinkific, we know that people have unique career journeys. If your experience is close to what we’ve described but you feel that you might be missing a few of the requirements, please still apply! We’re also committed to providing a comfortable and accessible interview process for every candidate. If there are any accommodations our team can make throughout our hiring process (big or small), please let us know.
What you can expect if you join Thinkific:
- An amazing team of talented, passionate, and kind Thinkers. Together, we’ve built an amazing culture—we’re one of the Best Workplaces in Canada and a Top Small & Medium Employer!
- The chance to build, improve, and innovate on a platform that’s driving positive impact—we already support 50,000+ active creators in over 165 countries.
- A competitive compensation package. This includes your base salary, equity, and an Employee Share Purchase Plan, on top of some great perks.
- Comprehensive benefits starting on Day 1. We have health, vision, and dental coverage for you and your family, plus $3000 for mental health care and a health or personal spending account.
- A flexible work environment—choose to work from home, at our Vancouver HQ, a co-working space, or anywhere there’s wifi for a change of scenery.
- An open vacation policy and flexible work environment. Our team takes a minimum of 4 weeks vacation each year and makes work fit into their lives (not the other way around).
- Career growth. We put an emphasis on your development with our annual Learn and Grow fund, training, mentorship, coaching, and internal promotion opportunities.
- A home office setup. You’ll be ready to succeed with a company-owned Macbook Pro and a budget to get a desk, chair, or any accessories to help you work comfortably and productively.
- Generous parental leave top-ups for up to 32 weeks, as well as fertility coverage through our group benefits plan.
- A place where you can bring your whole self to work. We know that different perspectives lead to amazing ideas, more innovation, and, ultimately, our success as a company. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds, experiences, beliefs, identities, and statuses. Whoever you are—we can’t wait to meet you!