Nav is democratizing small business financing. In other words, we give small business owners access and control. Yes, this challenges the norm, but it means working with curious, purpose driven, dedicated, and inquisitively smart people who push themselves, our company and the community to the next level (and every level after that). We are the people behind the tech. And when it’s good, we look for better. We don’t over think the value we bring nor spend time trying to revamp mantras. We also do not come up with some crafty way to tell you who we are and what we offer. We are Nav! Here, you’ll gain a wealth of experience, learn the tricks of the trade, and work with winners. All companies say people are connected to their mission but in our case our mission and our people are one – it is a way of being not just a cause you are committed to. And since 2013, Nav has holistically and organically developed its own ideology because Nav can only be Nav.
Join Nav as we build the leading SMB financial health platform on the market. As the Principal of Data Engineering, you will help lead the data science vision and delivery roadmap to advance Nav’s business.
What we will empower you with:
- Own all areas of the data engineering roadmap. Lead and contribute to projects on the data engineering roadmap to advance Nav’s business.
- Consult on projects of defined scope being performed by junior team members.
- Develop standards for data engineering practices and processes from ingestion, monitoring, alerting, unification and data management.
- Creating data and reporting infrastructure by building and optimizing production-grade data pipelines through the use of continuous integration.
- Develop close relationships with stakeholders. Work with stakeholders to detail project design and timeline estimates.
- Understand business use cases and success criteria of each project.
- Work with data science teams to enhance data with insights that will help drive great product changes and priority.
- Push to extend the capabilities of the data engineering team while focusing on designing, developing, and maintaining scalable, reusable code.
- Contribute to the direction of the data engineering usage within the company, and influence the development of the roadmap.
- Collaborate with Engineering and Data Analysts to identify and design ways to solve critical business problems and ensure funnel optimization.
- Lead team stand ups and obtain updates from team members during team and project stand-ups. Update jira tickets with progress and communicate project status to stakeholders.
- Conduct code reviews of teammate’s work and follow best practices such as comments and unit tests.
- Ensure project documentation and organization of exhibits.
- Ensure work is presented to stakeholders throughout the projects.
- Identify data engineering tool needs and build out tools to enable the data engineering team as a whole.
- Mentor and guide junior team members.
- Lead and contribute to data engineering knowledge sharing sessions.
What you bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree with a relevant degree: data engineering, Statistics, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics. Masters degree preferred.
- Expertise in data integration strategy, utilizing ETL and data warehousing skills.
- Experience with big data technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, ECS, S3, Redshift, Kinesis and Spark/EMR.
- Strong SQL or Python experience.
- Deep understanding of end-to-end data engineering processes. Experience leading data engineering projects. Evidence of strong execution of projects.
- Practitioner of apache Airflow with experience managing cross-DAG dependencies.
- Experience using AWS SQS, SNS, RDS, EC2 and Lambda. EKS and EventBridge a plus.
- Experience partnering with stakeholders to understand business use cases and success criteria.
- Experience with Git and Jira
- Excellent communication with stakeholders, and experience setting expectations for efforts.
- Experience with cloud computing technologies (AWS preferred)
WHO YOU ARE:
- You are comfortable operating on both strategic and tactical levels, simultaneously acting as an internal ambassador, educator, analyst, solutions architect, and implementer.
- A passion for documenting plans, roadmaps, with attention to detail and organization.
- A deep intellectual curiosity and tenacity, with a desire to quickly test and learn.
- You are comfortable managing relationships, delivering feedback and coaching up, down and to the side.
- You have outstanding written/verbal communication and presentation abilities, able to communicate complex concepts to wide audiences like engineers, marketers, execs, etc.
- You are flexible and respond quickly and positively to shifting demands and opportunities; able to work under tight deadlines and plan, organize and carry out multiple, detailed tasks.
- Relentless passion for hitting business targets and a habit of diving into the data daily.
- You have an entrepreneurial mindset, with a bias towards employee-centric innovation.
INCLUSION AT NAV:
At Nav, we celebrate what makes our employees unique because the businesses we serve are progressively diverse and distinctly original. Navericks are diverse, side hustlers, immigrants, veterans, queer, and we push generational boundaries. We are college dropouts, PhDs, special needs parents, allies, pet owners and community leaders. Navericks are human. We are committed to upholding a safe, supportive environment where everyone matters. We are committed to making a better future for all of us. We have created a workplace where people of all backgrounds can express their identities authentically. To put it simply we want you to be proud to be you.
OUR COMPENSATION PHILOSOPHY IS SIMPLE BUT POWERFUL.
We believe great, enduring relationships are grounded in trust and transparency. Compensation shouldn’t be a distraction, and employees should understand how pay and career advancement decisions are made. Providing equal pay for equal work is table stakes for being a great place to work. Gender and ethnic inequity should only be something that our children read about in history books. We believe providing Navsters with company ownership, competitive pay, and a range of meaningful benefits is the start of creating a culture where people want to give the best they’ve got — not because they’re simply making money, but because they’ve fallen in love with our vision, mission, values, and team.
OUR IMPACT ON YOU:
Competitive Pay. Company Ownership. Unlimited Vacation. 401k and HSA company match. Benefits Day One. 6 Weeks Paid Parental Leave. Work From Anywhere (yes we were distributed before it was cool). Flexible Work Arrangements. Free Telehealth and Telemental Health For All Employees. Employee Networking and Events. Community Network Groups (Women’s, PRIDE, Culture, Geek). Meaningful Perks and Rewards. Learning and Growth Opportunities.
A NAVERICK’S DNA:
- We look at the future and say “why not”; we see possibilities where others see problems or routines. We show the way ahead and are committed to achieving ambitious goals.
- We practice straight talk and listen generously to each other with empathy. We value different opinions and point of views. We ensure that we connect outside as well as inside to learn from others and inspire each other.
- We hold ourselves accountable for delivering results. We choose to not to be a victim of circumstance. We make decisions & take responsibility so that we can act & support each other, rather than adopting defensive, and “finger pointing” behaviors.
- As leaders, we motivate & engage our teams to undertake beyond what they originally thought possible, by developing our teams & creating the conditions for people to grow and empower themselves through enabling & coaching.