I’m looking for a designer to help us define the future of automated communication. You’ll be focused on our customers’ data experience. For example, how do we show non-developers that a user belongs to multiple accounts? How do we make it simple to debug data in automation branches? How do we make queries approachable without SQL knowledge? If you’re familiar with how software companies manage data and are excited to simplify the complex, we should talk.
About Customer.io: Most messages people receive from businesses are dull, mistimed, repetitive, and overbearing. This motivates us. We offer the industry’s most flexible automation platform for customer communication (email, mobile push, sms, etc) and our design challenge is to turn this canvas into an environment where people can dream up new ideas. We want our customers to challenge the status quo of messaging automation.
As a Principal Product Designer, you’ll:
- Create mocks for new features and collaborate with engineers on prototypes
- Develop an understanding and compassion for customers through research
- Work with product managers and engineers to prioritize projects, advocating for UX that empowers our customers
- Influence the design team’s quality of work through mentorship and thoughtful feedback
- Shape our design system by contributing to ongoing iterations that improve consistency and flexibility
- Act on opportunities for improvement in the design team’s processes and culture.
What we’re looking for:
- You can commit to at least 3 hrs of working overlap with the Americas (GMT-8 to GMT-5 timezone)
- You have experience designing complex product workflows, ideally B2B, from ideation to high fidelity mocks
- You have an understanding of customer data models commonly used by SaaS companies (e.g. accounts → users, users → orders)
- You have an understanding of how design brings value to business outcomes
- You have a growth mindset and a willingness to improve by learning from mistakes
- You thrive with autonomy and ownership
- You know how to communicate asynchronously, especially across time zones
- You add to our team culture – you bring a different education, background, previous career, location, or personality etc.
- Bonus: You have experience designing a product focused on customer relationship management (CRM) or a customer data platform (CDP)
If you only meet some of these criteria, please apply anyway. We’re looking for the right person, not the perfect person.
What’s it like to work on our design team?
While your daily work will be as part of a cross-functional development squad, the design team will be your home for support and growth. We meet 2x a week to give feedback on in-progress work and communicate daily about new things we learn, improvements to our design system, etc. Since we are still small and nimble, there is a lot of opportunity to add to our culture and processes.
Our mission at Customer.io is to power automated communication that people like to receive. Today over 4,200 internet businesses use Customer.io to manage, send, and track performance of email, SMS, and push notifications. Unlike typical marketing platforms, Customer.io helps businesses increase relevance by using behavioral data: what people do or don’t do when logged in to a web or mobile app.
We are offering a starting salary of $170,000 – $200,000 USD depending on experience and subject to market rate adjustment.
Benefits at Customer.io include:
- Unlimited PTO – we recommend 20 vacation days (in addition to holidays and sick days) so that you can unwind, unplug, and recharge
- 100% medical, dental, vision, and supplemental insurance for you and your dependents
- 12 weeks paid parental leave – for birth, adoption, or foster care
- 401k retirement matching – up to 5% dollar for dollar match to retirement contributions
- Health and wellness allowance – Up to $200 USD per month that can be used for your healthy living needs, including gym membership, acupuncture, massage, or bike repairs
- Home office stipend – Up to $2,000 USD to help you get your home office set up so you can do your best work
- Internet + cell phone reimbursement – Up to $200 USD per month for your internet and cell phone plans
- Co-working space reimbursement – Up to $300 USD per month for those times you’d prefer to work in a co-working environment
- Learning + development – Up to $2,000 USD reimbursement per year to use on conferences, books, classes, or workshops – anything that will help you develop your skills
- 1 month paid sabbatical after four years at Customer.io – to treat yourself to a vacation, or spend however you choose
- 1 annual company retreat per year and opportunities to meet in smaller groups throughout the year
- Flexible schedule, work anywhere you want! – as long as you have a reliable internet connection and some overlapping work time with your manager, you can work where and when you want
All final candidates will be asked to complete an employment and education verification authorization form (which allows us to verify your job history and education listed on your resume) as part of our pre-employment process.
Customer.io recognizes the stifling impact of systemic injustice on diverse communities. We commit to using our influence to increase inclusion and equity within the tech industry. We strive to build an inclusive team culture, implement bias-free hiring practices, and develop community partnerships to expand our global impact.
Check out our careers page for more information about why you should come work with us! We are passionate about our core values of Empathy, Transparency, Responsibility, and Awkwardness and are looking for new coworkers to share and build that passion!
How to apply
Apply at the link below and tell us why you’re interested in the position! In your cover letter, be sure to tell us the title of the last book you read. There is no advantage to applying early so put your best foot forward. We plan to respond to all applicants with a status update about your application.
Here’s what you can expect from our hiring process:
- 30-minute video call with Brendan, Group Product Manager
- 20-minute video call with Maria, the Recruiter
- 60-minute video call with Richard & Aiden, Product Designer & Hiring Manager
- 60-minute video call with Brendan & Pavan, Group Product Manager & Software Engineer