You’re looking for an environment, team, and role where you’ll thrive and do the best work of your career. That’s why, as a Principal Product Designer at HubSpot:
- You’ll have a “seat at the table” from Day 1. Your partners and peers know what you do, greatly value it, and expect you to have strong opinions.
- You’ll co-own a significant part of the product with your partners and you’ll all have the autonomy you need to drive its strategy and vision.
- You’ll never have to guess about how to get promoted. We support you with clear expectations and career paths.
- You’ll be able to work where and how you work best: at home, the office, or any mix of both.
About this opportunity:.
Commerce and Payments is one of Hubspot’s newest offerings. We have a very successful product that’s growing quickly with a diverse, global customer base that’s scaling even faster.
We are creating the tools that help our customers get paid through any channel, unlock new streams of revenue, and grow their business by combining commerce with the power of our CRM. Commerce removes the friction of the process and helps merchants grow their business faster with quick and secure payments in a commerce-powered CRM platform. Explore our Commerce offering to learn more about this critical product.
As we build our suite of tools that will allow small and medium sized businesses to manage their payments and find new sales channels, we are faced with multiple opportunities to pursue. Our customers are diverse and a good system of commerce will have to solve for their wide array of needs without compromising the experience.
That’s why we need you. In this role, you’ll be a strategic individual contributor, a leader in your craft, and leverage your experience with systems thinking, your ability to drive visions, and unique understanding of customer needs to create the right experience to scale our product.
Here’s a clear view of what success looks like:
- Co-create a shared strategy, vision, and cohesive roadmap for the future of Commerce and Payments area in partnership with product management and engineering leaders
- Uncover new opportunities by bringing together and aligning designers from multiple teams and groups, setting goals, and drive understanding and motivation with your partners and team
- Develop elegant and opinionated yet flexible interaction design solutions that simultaneously accelerate customer value yet scale to complex, high-demand customer needs
- Become the resident expert in the needs and motivations of our customers, collaborating with research partners to develop studies that uncover novel and nuanced insights
- Be a model of adaptability and collaboration, able to gracefully shift gears as new information becomes available.
- Leverage and contribute to our Canvas design system, knowing when to use existing components and when to extend the system for nuanced needs
- Possess a strong point of view on product design best practices that you can instill in other designers as you play an active mentorship role in growing HubSpot’s UX team and culture
You’ll love this role if you:
- Thrive when collaborating on strategy and vision with partners, leaders, and teams
- Fluently organize information and create data-supported design strategies to provide an intuitive, scalable user experience that can be seamlessly adopted by multiple stakeholder groups
- Have an expert understanding of usability principles and best practices in interaction and visual design
- Are strong at communicating direction and design value through writing, presentations, and visualizing solutions on a spectrum from abstract to concrete
- Demonstrate facilitation skills and the ability to work with senior stakeholders in multiple groups to secure buy-in
- Are deliberate and effective about over-communicating the major trade-offs between design concepts and influencing your partners along the way
- Have experience setting up and socializing governance around complex systems
- Can partner with researchers (or lead yourself) on studies that impact strategy and problem framing with methods that go beyond usability testing and concept validation
- Are able to mentor other designers by helping them understand your decision making process
- Share our HEART values and practice growth mindset
About UX at HubSpot
Our UX team is a passionate and diverse group of more than 200 product designers, content designers, researchers, and design ops folks who build consumer-grade experiences while solving enterprise-level problems. We’re set up to work as equal partners to our peers in product management and engineering. And we design and deliver a crafted experience to our customers by setting a high bar on ease of use. We’re investing deeply in building whole and healthy UX teams across all of our disciplines so we can better solve problems for our customers.
We involve our customers in every step of our development process. And we strive to deliver a B2B product that’s just as easy to use as the best B2C products on the market. When our customers grow, we grow, too!
Want to know more about product design at HubSpot?
- What does a product designer do at HubSpot?
- The possibilities of “and” — prioritizing usability alongside feature growth
- By the people, for the people: keeping your design system evergreen
- See all HubSpot UX blog posts
One more thing you should know…
There’s a lot of research showing how marginalized groups of people may not apply for jobs unless they meet 100% (or more!) of the qualifications. We also know that many UX folks come from backgrounds with different experiences that might not seem “standard”—and that’s okay! We really value people who bring unique perspectives and add new knowledge to our team.
But you might not feel like you “check all the boxes” as you read this job post. We get it. And we feel these things ourselves, too. But we hope you’ll apply anyway because we’ll take great care in working with you. 🧡
Cash compensation range: 196,000-245,000 USD annually.
The cash compensation above includes base salary, on-target commission for employees in eligible roles, and annual bonus targets under HubSpot’s bonus plan for eligible roles. In addition to cash compensation, all HubSpotters are eligible to participate in HubSpot’s equity plan to receive restricted stock units (RSUs). Some roles may also be eligible for overtime pay. Individual compensation packages are based on a few different factors unique to each candidate, including their skills, experience, qualifications and other job-related reasons.
We know that benefits are also an important piece of your total compensation package. To learn more about what’s included in total compensation, check out some of the benefits and perks HubSpot offers to help employees grow better.
At HubSpot, fair compensation practices isn’t just about checking off the box for legal compliance. It’s about living out our value of transparency with our employees, candidates, and community.
If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please email us at email@example.com. This information will be treated as confidential and used only for the purpose of determining an appropriate accommodation for the interview process.
Important COVID-19 Guidance (For candidates applying to roles in the United States):
Per HubSpot’s policy all employees who wish to work @office or @flex or to visit an office in-person must be fully-vaccinated. At this time, @remote employees are not required to be vaccinated.
Germany Applicants: (m/f/d) – link to HubSpot’s Career Diversity page here.
HubSpot (NYSE: HUBS) is a leading customer relationship management (CRM) platform that provides software and support to help businesses grow better. We build marketing, sales, service, and website management products that start free and scale to meet our customers’ needs at any stage of growth. We’re also building a company culture that empowers people to do their best work. If that sounds like something you’d like to be part of, we’d love to hear from you.
You can find out more about our company culture in the HubSpot Culture Code, which has more than 5M views, and learn about our commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive workplace, too. Thanks to the work of every employee globally, HubSpot was named the #2 Best Place to Work on Glassdoor in 2022, and has been recognized for award-winning culture by Great Place to Work, Comparably, Fortune, Entrepreneur, Inc., and more.
Headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts, HubSpot was founded in 2006. Today, thousands of employees work across the globe in HubSpot offices and remotely. Visit our careers website to learn more about culture and opportunities at HubSpot.
By submitting your application, you agree that HubSpot may collect your personal data for recruiting, global organization planning, and related purposes. HubSpot’s Privacy Notice explains what personal information we may process, where we may process your personal information, our purposes for processing your personal information, and the rights you can exercise over HubSpot’s use of your personal information.