The Platform Engineering team at Mezmo is looking for an experienced senior SRE to help us align on critical cross-functional system integrations, optimize our cloud deployments, share their hard-earned experiences with the team, and ensure Mezmo’s infrastructure is set up for easy scaling and simple management to support a rapidly growing business.
Our team is responsible for keeping all of the Mezmo infrastructure systems running smoothly and securely. While infrastructure expertise is the core of this role, this person will also work with release engineering, our security team, and the development teams on cross-functional efforts.
In this role you can expect your days to be filled with:
- Deep technical engagements with the Platform infrastructure teams on active and planned projects, helping identify issues, devising scalable and efficient solutions, promoting best practices, improving documentation and sharing knowledge
- Weigh in on new and existing infrastructure and product designs and proposals with an eye towards ease of management/scale-up, efficiency, and simple design.
- Working with team managers and leadership on technical project alignments, success criteria, solution fit, and acting as a sounding board
- Mentoring junior engineers on both technical and nontechnical aspects of growth in tech roles, how to think about technical challenges, and process improvements.
- Deep dives into cloud designs, optimizations, and cost efficiencies
- Act as an escalation point for critical technical issues and share on-call rotation with the SRE team on occasion
- Participating in Incident reviews, facilitating followup discussions and process changes, and helping foster and maintain healthy practices
- Having 1:1s with other engineers throughout the organization in both the EU and Americas
- Providing code review and feedback
- Working to increase the visibility and presence of our platform and infrastructure teams in our company and in the tech community
- Researching and leading proof of concept exercises
- Work to make production as boring as possible
- Deep understanding and experience with AWS. GCP or Azure experience a bonus.
- Familiar with common design patterns in infrastructure – networks, systems, containerization.
- Understanding of configuration management and orchestration and how to apply in a Kubernetes native world.
- Passion for identifying and reducing toil through simplification and automation.
- Desire to improve collaboration and be able to communicate asynchronously.
- Willingness to create and update documentation to facilitate learning for yourself and the team, with comfort speaking to groups and presenting information.
- Fluency and comfort in a programming or scripting language and the ability to translate to new languages and tools
- Familiarity with security practices, methods to secure and increase auditability for systems, applications, and administrative functions
- Familiarity or some experience with compliance requirements – SOC2, PCI, HIPAA, etc.
- Experience with and familiarity with common developer workflows and CI a plus
- Experience with all many different technology stacks – anything in () are examples relevant to our use:
- Kubernetes (DIY, Managed)
- Datastores (ElasticSearch, Redis, MongoDB)
- Cloud (AWS, GCP, IBMCloud)
- Linux (CoreOS/Flatcar, Alpine, Ubuntu, RHEL)
- CI/CD Tooling (Jenkins, CircleCI, GitHub Actions)
- Orchestration/Configuration management tools (Razee, Terraform, Ansible, Puppet, Chef)
Be a builder of consensus. Know how to listen and respond to tech team concerns and objections, filtering fear from legitimate concerns. Knows when to raise concerns to management vs solving them technically. Able to keep goals in mind and effectively balance risk-taking with progress. Help the team get there. Positivity, a can-do attitude are essential.
Mezmo is on a mission to empower people who build solutions that shape the world. We’re doing this by delivering a platform that enables enterprises to get more value from their observability data in real time, regardless of source, destination, use case, or scale. We’re not the only ones working on this problem but we have a few things the others don’t.
- We’re cloud-native and know how to make the most of modern technology like Kubernetes.
- We have scaled a solution from zero to petabyte scale in a short amount of time, while supporting thousands of active users across multiple environments.
- We are hungry for change and are surrounded by enterprises telling us they’re hungry, too.
- We have a kick-ass group of people who are thinking about the problem analytically and are excited to change the observability world for the better.
Mezmo has helped some of the world’s most innovative companies transform how they manage their systems and applications. Still, we know that we can help them get more value from their observability data by providing more flexibility and control over how they use it. This will enable teams to spend less time switching between data silos so they can focus on shipping better, more resilient, and secure products.
We have momentum on our side. Last year we saw triple digit revenue growth and added 800 new customers to our roster. Recent accolades include being named to YC’s Top Companies, CRN’s 10 Hottest DevOps Startups, and EMA’s Top 3 Observability Platforms.
What it’s like to work at Mezmo
At Mezmo, our culture is everything. We have an inclusive, collaborative, and fulfilling work environment so that our teammates can tackle some of technology’s biggest challenges. We hold the prestigious Great Place to Work badge and have won the Fortune Best Small and Medium Workplace award for the last two years in a row. Join us if you:
- Want to solve hard problems.
- Want to enable Mezmo’s customers, partners, and community to be highly productive and successful.
- Thrive in collaborative, cross-functional environments.
- Enjoy jumping in where needed to help the whole company succeed.
- Take your role, but not yourself, seriously. At Mezmo, we know that pride, humility, and kindness are not mutually exclusive.
- Receive competitive compensation.
- Receive competitive benefits, including:
- 100% healthcare coverage for you and your family.
- 100% dental coverage for you and your family.
- 100% vision coverage for you and your family.
- Flexible time off. Work-life balance is valued here and we encourage you to take the opportunity to recharge.
- One company-wide mental health day off per month in addition to all nationally recognized holidays.
- $600 annual remote work expense reimbursement in addition to hardware setup provided by the company.
This is a full-time remote opportunity. Mezmo is a remote-first company that was born in the San Francisco Bay Area and now has employees in 71 cities in North America and 8 countries worldwide. Learn more about our culture and how we stay connected on our website.